cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DP965LT skips certain boot devices

Jump to solution

Hi, I've bought this motherboard, the DP965LT because my old one died.

It's great, I love it, but i've found an issue, it skips certain devices during boot even though they are detected by the BIOS, if I go to BIOS setup they are listed correctly, and selecting them manually using F10 leads to the same result: The motherboard ignores the drive and proceeds with booting the rest of devices.

The devices from which the motherboard refuses to boot are a 320 GB WD HDD and a 16 GB Kingston DataTraveler3 USB flash drive.

I've tried:

• Removing all the other devices except the one I'm trying to boot from (obviously)
  • Trying SATA mode Legacy and Native (Both IDE and AHCI) (Only for the WD drive)
  • Trying different bootloaders (even though the same bootloaders work from other devices)
  • Booting the same devices in other computers (both boot OK from other computers)
  • Updating BIOS to latest version (Now it has BIOS version 1761, which is the latest)ip

None of that works and I don't know what to do or try next.

I can boot the drives if I install grub on another hard drive and boot it from there, but don't like this workaround (though I could go with that since I have 3 HDD's and at least one of them works with grub)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your attention.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

OK, I've solved it, I feel pretty stupid though:

Both the drive and the USB key were missing a primary bootable partition, they had primary partitions of course, but were missing the bootable flag.

Even though all my other systems boot both the USB and the HDD without having a partition marked as bootable, I really don't care as I can boot them somehow.

I hope someone finds this useful or something.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager

OK, I've solved it, I feel pretty stupid though:

Both the drive and the USB key were missing a primary bootable partition, they had primary partitions of course, but were missing the bootable flag.

Even though all my other systems boot both the USB and the HDD without having a partition marked as bootable, I really don't care as I can boot them somehow.

I hope someone finds this useful or something.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos