Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11359 Discussions

DP965LT skips certain boot devices

idata
Community Manager

Hi, I've bought this motherboard, the DP965LT because my old one died.

It's great, I love it, but i've found an issue, it skips certain devices during boot even though they are detected by the BIOS, if I go to BIOS setup they are listed correctly, and selecting them manually using F10 leads to the same result: The motherboard ignores the drive and proceeds with booting the rest of devices.

The devices from which the motherboard refuses to boot are a 320 GB WD HDD and a 16 GB Kingston DataTraveler3 USB flash drive.

I've tried:

• Removing all the other devices except the one I'm trying to boot from (obviously)
  • Trying SATA mode Legacy and Native (Both IDE and AHCI) (Only for the WD drive)
  • Trying different bootloaders (even though the same bootloaders work from other devices)
  • Booting the same devices in other computers (both boot OK from other computers)
  • Updating BIOS to latest version (Now it has BIOS version 1761, which is the latest)ip

None of that works and I don't know what to do or try next.

I can boot the drives if I install grub on another hard drive and boot it from there, but don't like this workaround (though I could go with that since I have 3 HDD's and at least one of them works with grub)

Any suggestions? Thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

OK, I've solved it, I feel pretty stupid though:

Both the drive and the USB key were missing a primary bootable partition, they had primary partitions of course, but were missing the bootable flag.

Even though all my other systems boot both the USB and the HDD without having a partition marked as bootable, I really don't care as I can boot them somehow.

I hope someone finds this useful or something.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

OK, I've solved it, I feel pretty stupid though:

Both the drive and the USB key were missing a primary bootable partition, they had primary partitions of course, but were missing the bootable flag.

Even though all my other systems boot both the USB and the HDD without having a partition marked as bootable, I really don't care as I can boot them somehow.

I hope someone finds this useful or something.

View solution in original post