Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RAndr7
Beginner

DQ45CB: red LED starts blinking (two quick blinks then a one second pause) and power supply fan quits. PS is known good, RAM is known good, not sure about CPU. I can't find any documentation of the meaning of the LED blinks.

Ah ... well the heading says it all. What is the meaning of the code, and why does the PS quit, leaving the LED repeating it's pattern of two quick flashes then an one second pause?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I have moved your thread to the forum, where it will get better visibility.

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Hello rvja,

Usually 2 blinks is video error with this motherboard, you may want to try to reset you video cable or to try with a different cable.

You can also try with different graphics output.

If you are using a video card I suggest to remove the video card and to try the onboard video instead.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005473.html BIOS Beep Codes for Intel® Desktop Boards

I hope that can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

RAndr7
Beginner

Thanks Ivan but I don't think so because I tried two video cards known to be good as well as the on-board video, and two different monitors known to be good. Also, there is the fact that the power supply 'dies', that is it seems to deliberately turn itself off. I had seen the page you link to, but my pattern is much faster, cycling in maybe two seconds, and it repeats continually. Surely somewhere there is a key to these codes? The .pdf manuals say nothing useful.

idata
Community Manager

You are more than welcome!

If you diagnostic that the issue is the power supply, I will appreciate if you could let me know what will be the results if you test your system with another one.

Best regards,

Ivan.
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ray,

All codes are documented here; there are no others: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005473.html?wapkw=beep+codes Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Beep Codes. It definitely sounds like you have a video error. If your PSU is not providing correct and stable power to the video card, this could explain it.

Hope this helps; let us know what happens after you replace the PSU...

...S

RAndr7
Beginner

Hi Scott, Alas, none of those patterns is accurate. My pattern is ca. 1/4 second on, 1/4 second off, 1/4 second on, 1 second off ... repeated indefinitely. The pattern that comes closest is the CPU temperature one, since it mentions that the PS will shut down, but my CPU is not hot. Nor the video. Fact is, just a moment ago I got the thing to boot and the video is fine and the CPU temperature is fine. It could be an intermittent failure on some power wire on the board itself because the PS works perfectly with other boards. Or maybe the fact that I removed and replaced the battery fixed it but of course I tried that before. To tell the truth I'd be happy if the documentation just recognized my LED pattern, cuz none of the options in the doc above are accurate to my situation, it's like the video pattern but 3x faster AND the PS then shuts down instead of continuing with the boot.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
RAndr7
Beginner

Ivan:

I just got a new board that works, and I'm on the case. The new board, when powered up via PS switch or power-bar does exactly the same thing until I hit the power switch on the front of the computer. The other boards were being tested outside of any computer so obviously I didn't do that. I've never seen a board with this behavior, but it could be that simple -- it must be started using the power button. I'll let you know when I've confirmed this on the other boards. In short two fast blinks followed by a short pause means 'power is available but board is powered-down'.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the information and I'm glad that a new board works ok for you. And yes, please let me know when you confirm this on the other board using the power button.

Ivan.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ah, now I understand what you are asking about. In the older VPro systems (965, 3-Series and 4-Series chipsets), where AMT (etc.) is running on the MCH-based Management Engine (ME), some special power connect operations are necessary. This is because the ME utilizes some of the system RAM and, in order to be able to operate while in the S5 state, must do early power-up of the system's (also MCH-based) memory controllers and the RAM itself. Thus, your description is not quite complete; it should be something like "system powered but (still) in S5".

...S