Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DQ57TM - KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED AFTER WINDOWS 7 to WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE

If anybody had a success with this upgrade please provide drivers (not available on Intel website). Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Did you remove/uninstall any and all anti-virus products BEFORE attempting the upgrade? If not, do so, including Microsoft Security Essentials, and any 3rd party firewalls.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It's not antivirus - upgrade went without problems. But in Windows 10 I get "kmode exception" error. Usually it points to driver(s) problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Did you uninstall all anti-virus before upgrading?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

No

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

That is your problem.

Also, which AV products did you have installed?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

It's TrendMicro OfficeScan. If it's my problem how can I fix it? Uninstall it now, after the upgrade?Do you have latest drivers for DQ57TM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Also I do not get exception in safe mode for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

It is not a driver problem. I do not know if uninstalling TrendMicro now will fix your problem, but give it a try.

Windows 10 has all the drivers you need for your board. And, for sake of discussion, even it it is "drivers", which one?

After you remove TM, make sure WIndows Defender is on.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

If you google for the exception answer is always driver. Windows 10 upgrade would complain if AV was a problem. I did upgrade almost 30 Dells with Trendmicro AV installed OK.

Drivers for board, graphics and network. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Have google tell you which "driver" you need. And, you are putting a lot of faith in the W10 upgrade process.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks, Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have installed Windows 10, via both upgrade and fresh install, on a couple of 5 Series Desktop Boards (KG and SO), and I did not encounter any issues doing so. I too forgot to remove my AV (McAfee) software, but this did not cause any issues (and McAfee upgraded itself automatically afterwards) -- but, it is important to understand that these systems had add-in NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards and did not utilize the Intel HD Graphics engine. Intel does not support Windows 10 on either 1st or 2nd generation Core processors and does not provide a Windows 10 driver for this engine. The only driver that supports this engine is Microsoft's compatibility driver and this driver has *many* issues - so many that Microsoft withdrew support for it (if you contact them regarding a problem, they will usually just ignore you).

Bottom line, if you are using the intel HD Graphics engine on these boards, this is very likely the cause of your issues. The answer is to use an add-in card. The issue is that this path is also fraught with compatibility issues. Don't purchase the latest and greatest card, it won't work. You will have to look back a number of generations for something that is compatible. My guidance is don't attempt to use anything that is three years newer than your board. I used an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti board in my tests. I have heard of third-party board with same graphics engine NOT working; I believe that this is because of issues with their Video BIOS.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you, I will try with video card.

0 Kudos