cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DQ67OW - Confirming stepping re: SATA bug

HI all,

I've got hold of a DQ67OW board from eBay as part of a modest upgrade project for my home media server. I'd looked at this article regarding the stepping:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000006910.html Identify Intel® Desktop Boards B2 and B3 Chipset Versions

- as I was aware of the flaws with the early versions of the chipset on the 3GB/s SATA ports. It says the new 'AA' number for this board at that point was G12528-303 and that older numbers than that would be B2 steppings with the flaw on the SATA ports. The board reports itself in the BIOS as being G12528-308 which suggested to me it was newer and would be OK.

However I've just fired up CPU-Z and under the Mainboard tab it lists 'Southbridge: Q67 - Stepping B2'. Heart sank a bit as I will need to use all the ports and I got a 6-port board for that reason. I guess CPU-Z could be mis-detecting things, but can anyone confirm based on the AA numbers which stepping this board is on?

Cheers

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Years ago, Intel released a tool that would check for the flaw. I could not find this tool on the Intel site but, being the pack-rat that I am, I do have a local copy of the tool. I am attaching it. Run this tool and you will know for sure where you stand.

If you have a board with the bad stepping and you are committed to its purchase, your best option is to purchase an add-in card that can be used in replace the chipset's SATA ports. I have personal experience with one of these cards, https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Controller-HyperDuo-Tiering/dp/B00BUC3N74 Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4 Port PCI Express 2.0 SATA III 6Gbps RAID Controller Card, and I have used it successfully with an older 5 Series board, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with 6 Series boards. This card provides 4 SATA III ports. If you need more ports than that, I found one that would seem to fit the bill: https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Components-SI-PEX40071/dp/B00ESFEI2E Amazon.com: IO Crest SATA III 8 Port Controller Card PCE-e x2. If you go for this card, remember it is a x2 card and thus needs to go into the x4 PCIe slot on the OW board...

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your reply - unfortunately the attached exe won't run on my machine (maybe because I'm on Windows 10? Not sure, it just said the platform was wrong.) Cheers for sharing anyway. Having done a bit more digging online I've managed to check the sSpec code on the PCH (SLJ4D) with the codes on the Intel ARK and it matches up to the B3 stepping - so finally, a bit of peace of mind! Wasn't too keen on having to disturb the heatsink etc., but it wasn't too much trouble. Between that and the AA number I think it seems much more likely that it's just CPU-Z misdetecting the stepping of the chipset. The Hardware ID reported by the storage devices still matches the B2 ones - perhaps that was never changed and that's what CPU-Z is looking at.

Cheers!

Chris
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

PS. Cheers for the pointers re: SATA cards too. Actually part of the reason for getting this board is to eliminate an old JMB366 SATA card which wouldn't work with Storage Spaces for some odd reason. But I'll keep that 4-port card bookmarked for when I expand again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your assistance in this case.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos