Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

DQ77CP - Unable to access BIOS

pm123
Beginner

Hoping someone can assist please.

I've just bought a refurbished PC that has a DQ77CP motherboard.

There were 2 issues

1) Windows could not restart the machine.  It kept turning off the screen etc, but power would never go off.    Shutdown was fine, only a problem with restarting.   

2) I can't access the BIOS.  I keep being asked for a password to unlock the system.

I seem to have solved problem 1, by updating the BIOS version to 0073.

But problem 2 is still here.  I just get the message centre of a black screen asking for a password.

I have tried removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, which didn't help.

I've also tried to move the config jumper to maintenance mode (pins 2-3), but when I do this I get a very brief error page saying:

ERROR (LocateHandle): Not found
ERROR Unable to resolve EFI_FORM_BROWSER2_PROTOCOL.

Then a fresh page telling me:

Please turn off power and reinstall the jump in Normal 

So I am unable to get into the maintenance mode to clear the password.  The system otherwise works fine and so the seller has told me to get back to them if there are further problems, but can anyone here shed any light please?  

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pm123
Beginner

Forgot to add that I can access the MEBx with no problem

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There have been a number of reports over the years of a problem with the 7 Series vPro (Q77) boards where, out of the blue, they will start asking for a password when no password has ever been applied. I am sorry to say that there was never any solution for this problem uncovered. If you cannot clear the password using the published procedure (here: Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Password Clearing), then I am as stymied as you regarding any possible solution.

...S

P.S. Clearing CMOS doesn't help. The BIOS configuration is stored in flash memory. The CMOS memory has not been used for configuration storage for almost 20 years.

pm123
Beginner

Thank you very much for the info.

If it's a known issue, do you know if it's a precursor to further problems? 

I can live with not accessing the bios setup, but could it be a sign that the board might be nearing the end of it's service life?

pm123
Beginner

Problem solved!

I flashed the bios again.   I was still asked to enter a password, but this time leaving it blank and hitting enter got me in!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Excellent. Make sure you clear the BIOS configuration and, if there are passwords identified as being installed, remove them.

...S