Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DQ77KB - Displayport or HDMI to DVI Adaptor?

Hi

I was just about to buy a DQ77KB ITX board and i noticed it only has a Displayport or HDMI output and my Monitor is a DVI-D connector.Which is better a Displayport or HDMI to DVI Adaptor?

From what i can gather reading online it would suggest that Displayport is better but it gets very confusing with active and passive adapters plus dual link and single link DVI.

Don't know if this is true but it was suggested to me that the DQ77KB is only Displayport 1.1a and not the latest 1.2 which would mean it is limited in bandwidth so it would be pointless buying a Active adapter.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

We would like to inform you that as a troubleshooting recommendation we do not recommend using adapters or converters since we cannot ensure compatibility with this kind of devices. Our recommendation is contacting the adapter manufacturer for further information on this matter. As an additional detail, we have seen that a display to DVI adapter works properly on this motherboard series.

idata
Community Manager

Thankyou for the reply.

Can you confirm if the DQ77KB DisplayPort is V1.1a or V1.2 ?

Thanks

plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

Neither is better in terms of image quality.

If you have a DVI monitor the safest bet is to use an HDMI to DVI adapter, which will support resolutions up to 1920x1200.

Regards

Phil

idata
Community Manager

Thankyou Phil.

Some sites like newegg show the box contents and it shows a HDMI to DVI adapter is included but it doesn't mention it at the Intel Webpage for what is in the box.

Can someone at Intel confirm if this comes with a Adapter or not?

Thanks

idata
Community Manager

Hello icetea,

To answer your question, the motherboard does not include a graphics adapter or similar. Please confirm this information by checking the following website:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dq77kb/sb/CS-033507.htm Intel� Desktop Board DQ77KB — What's in the box

idata
Community Manager

Been to that link thanks Dan before i posted.

Odd that the online shops show the contents of the box as the example in post 4 as having an adapter yet the official What's in the box doesn't.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dq77kb/sb/CS-033507.htm

idata
Community Manager

My DQ77KB came with an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box. I haven't tried using it, because my monitor supports both HDMI and DisplayPort inputs natively.

I bought my board from NewEgg, the same site that you mentioned above. Is it possible that NewEgg adds the adapter themselves?

Oh, but wait - the picture you posted above isn't from NewEgg, it's from Logic Supply. And it clearly shows an adapter (it's the little black plug next to the red SATA cables). I find it hard to believe that every reseller is adding these adapters to the box themselves. So somebody at the Intel factory is probably stuffing them in the box without telling management.

You did not mention what kind of monitor you are using, but as long as the resolution is 1,920 x 1,200 or lower, then a passive adapter with single-link DVI is all you need.

The only things you lose with the adapter are audio output to the display (but a monitor with DVI-only is clearly not a TV, so this is irrelevant), and possibly HDCP copy protection (but this is irrelevant if you are not watching Blu-Ray movies).

idata
Community Manager

Thankyou m3libra for confirming that.

I'm only using a single 1,920 x 1,200 Monitor so that adapter that comes with it will do.

I don't suppose you know if this board gives full USB 3.0 support using Windows XP by any chance? , As alot of these new board only give support using Windows 7 but i wasn't sure if Intel boards are the same.

idata
Community Manager

Sorry, I don't know. If you don't see a driver on Intel's website, then the answer is No for sure, because only Windows 8 comes with native USB 3.0 drivers. In fact, you may not be able to run XP at all on the DQ77KB. I read somewhere that XP and Vista require some legacy BIOS resources that the new boards don't have. Unfortunately, I can't cite a reference for this - but do your research if you still need to run XP for some reason.

idata
Community Manager

BAH! No USB 3.0 drivers for WinXP , I just had a spare WinXP key that was all.

No problem i'll just have to buy WHS 2011.

What do you think of the board now you have bought it as mine will be for a 24/7 home server and download box.

idata
Community Manager

The board comes with an Intel network adapter which is not recognised under WHS 2011 Setup. You have to manually extract the network drivers from Intel setup routine (not an easy task) to a USB flash drive and guide the WHS setup to your network drivers in the key. Otherwise the WHS setup will fail. As an alternative use a board with a Realtek Network adapter.

idata
Community Manager

LOL , nothing i do is easy

Thanks fsofos

idata
Community Manager

My DQ77KB arrived yesterday and i can confirm that it came as standard with HDMI to DVI Adaptor so the " What's in the box" link is incorrect........

Though I'm not very impressed with the condition of my DQ77KB as the back of the board is still covered in sticky Flux that hasn't been removed and both the back of the board and all the silver parts are covered in sticky finger prints.

All the original seals was intact so it's left the factory like it.