Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knur004
Novice

DQ77KB Radeon GPU (all GPU in general on that board)

Jump to solution

Hello,

i would like to ask if this motherboard (dq77kb) has problems with amd gpus? Here is the thing - i have this motherboard in aio pc, and im doing a little project with it - basically i want to cram an gpu there in pcie x4 slot with special cable. And:

1. When i plug in my nvidia gtx 750 ti - computers starts, it boots into windows, but i get error 12 - not enough resources, need to turn off some devices - is it because i have intel wifi card in one of mini pcie slots? (I could do an dsdt override and make big memory allocation just like for egpu)

2. When i plug in my radeon rx 560 it just shows black screen - nothing on lcd, external monitor (plugged into gpu or motherboard) - it just halts boot or something - like it was not supported

3. Does that motherboard has wifi whitelist? I need to replace intel car with broadcom one - will that work?

I have an 0038 bios version - i know its old, but update is last resort for me, because later versions of bioses have shrinked list of supported cpus (no more support for cpus witch tdp exceeds 65w).

Any ideas?

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
knur004
Novice

Status update - after updating bios my radeon rx560 works as intended. Sad part about it is that i had to sell my i7 3770 and buy i7 3770s in order to make whole computer work. So yeah, sucks that intel removed some cpus from supported list for that motherboard in bios update, but what can you do...

Another question though - is it possible to add boot option? Because when i looked into boot option i could only change boot order

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The latest bios is 0061, which I have attached.  Here are the release notes:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120145446/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28298/eng/KB_0061_Releas...

Stay with the nvidia cards.  AMD cards alost always have problems.

knur004
Novice

Thanks, but i would prefer amd because i will use linux, and as we all know linux and nvidia do not like each other

AlHill
Super User

Ok, but before you get to the OS, you need to have AMD cooperate with the board.  AMD cards are least likely to work on the old boards.

knur004
Novice

AMD cards are least likely to work on the old boards

Why? Are there like intentionally blocked in bios or something? Few years ago i had similiar problem with q77 board (it was gigabythe though) - when i put there nvidia card it just froze on bios screen, with amd everything worked. One bios update later nvidia worked

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
There is absolutely nothing in any of the Intel Desktop Board BIOS that would prevent any card from working, regardless of who it is from. I know, I was involved with every single one. I speculate that the issue with the AMD graphics cards is a crappy, incompatible Video BIOS. NVIDIA seems to do a better job.
...S
knur004
Novice

Status update - after updating bios my radeon rx560 works as intended. Sad part about it is that i had to sell my i7 3770 and buy i7 3770s in order to make whole computer work. So yeah, sucks that intel removed some cpus from supported list for that motherboard in bios update, but what can you do...

Another question though - is it possible to add boot option? Because when i looked into boot option i could only change boot order

View solution in original post

n_scott_pearson

What do you mean by 'boot option'?

knur004
Novice

I mean something similiar to what i have in hp laptop - in bios i just can specify exact .efi file on my efi partition (specify the path to that file) that i want to be booted from when laptop starts (usefull when i have linux and windows partitions on the same disk). On this motherboard i can only choose boot order, and boot options (like windows boot manager etc) are already there - i cant add my own option

n_scott_pearson

I believe you can boot into EFI shell and change the configuration. Have you tried that?

...S

knur004
Novice

Do you know how to access efi shell? I do not have that option in boot menu of my bios

n_scott_pearson

Do a google of "download uefi shell binaries". There are sites that explain this better than I can.

...S