Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AArts
Beginner

DQ77KB, long boot delay, black screen with flashing cursor

When I boot my DQ77KB there is about a minute long delay between Intel logo and bootloader (GRUB) menu. During that time screen is in text mode and it's black with a flashing cursor in upper-left corner. Initially I had this problem only occasionally but recently it happens on almost every boot.

BIOS is the latest one (0058) and I tried all the usual stuff (clearing CMOS, removing battery, booting from different sources (SATA, USB 3.0, USB 2.0) etc)

Does anyone experience the same problem on this or similar motherboard?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi cioma,

It seems to be a delay with your bootloader (Grub). I suggest you to update the version of the Grub and kernel of your Linux distribution.

Regards,

Mike C
AArts
Beginner

Well, it seems it has nothing to do with the bootloader itself as on several other PCs (including one of the latest Intel NUCs) it boots OK with no delay.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

When the splash screen is removed from the screen, the BIOS is done and has handed off control to the boot loader. It is the boot loader delaying things after that point.

AArts
Beginner

Hmmm, then it's a very strange behavior as the delay doesn't happen on every boot, occasionally it boots up OK with do delay.

I also tried booting various latest Linux distributions and also a Windows 10 recovery USB disk (that contains a standard Windows bootloader) and the behavior is the same: on most occasions there is a delay but sometimes there is none.

I have to mention that this happens in the Legacy boot mode. I gave UEFI boot a couple of tries and it seems there is no delay.

AArts
Beginner

Out of curiosity I installed standard Windows MBR and bootloader on an empty drive and tried booting from it. The result is the same: there is a delay of about a minute between Intel logo going off and a text "MBR FA:" appearing on the screen. So I still suspect it's a board/BIOS problem.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hhmmm...this shouldn't happen (no duh!)...

Even if you are on the latest BIOS already, I suggest that you install.reinstall the latest BIOS using the Recovery method. I also suggest that you clear CMOS (the BIOS is not supposed to be using it at all but the reality is that there are places in their BIOS code that still are).

Here is a combined process for doing both of these things:

1. Even if it has already been done before, freshly format a USB 2.0 flash disk using the FAT32 file system.
  2. Place the .BIO file for the latest available BIOS onto this flash disk (and nothing else).
  3. Unplug the PC from A/C power (some PSUs have a switch for doing this).
  4. Remove the CR2032 battery from the board.
  5. Wait 15 minutes (yes, really; CMOS can take this long to drain).
  6. Restore the CR2032 battery to the board.
  7. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board.
  8. Insert the USB flash disk directly into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use USB 3.0 ports, do not use yellow charging ports and do not use front panel ports.
  9. Plug system back into A/C.
  10. Press Power button.
  11. The system should proceed to install (or reinstall) the BIOS. It will tell you when it is done.
  12. Power off the system.
  13. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to Pins 1-2 of the BIOS Configuration jumper block.
  14. Power on the system.
  15. Enter BIOS Setup (you may be prompted to do so automatically as a result of the CMOS clear).
  16. Set the date and time.
  17. Use F9 to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.
  18. Make any necessary changes (boot order, etc.) that are required by your system configuration.
  19. Exit BIOS Setup, saving the BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

AArts
Beginner

Well, I did all as suggested but no improvements.

It still would be nice to know if anyone else have similar kind of problems to identify if it's a problem of my particular board or not.

idata
Community Manager

Hi cioma,

Mr. Pearson posted all the steps necessary to make a BIOS recovery. If these steps didn't solve the issue I am afraid your board is faulty.

Intel provides with 3 years of warranty since the date of purchase, we just need the board invoice. Please contact our support team using the link below:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Mike C
AArts
Beginner

Well, my board is older than 3 years so I'll look for a replacement, probably an Intel NUC.

idata
Community Manager

Hi cioma,

Intel® NUC Kits are an excellent option now.

Mike C