Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DQ77KB - video output issues and BIOS flashing in recovery mode

I have got hold of a DQ77KB (thin mini-ITX) for use as a firewall - I've built this board up but am having trouble getting it to work correctly.

I'm using a HDMI cable direct to a native HDMI input on my monitor (i.e. no adaptor). RAM is in place as is a SATA SSD. On boot I get no beeps from the onboard sound (through headphones) but the board does not show a splash screen or any of the normal boot screen info and remains black. USB keyboard num lock will light up and hard drive light on case will flicker. Eventually, after 10-20 seconds, I get messages referring to the Intel PXE boot agent failing to find media - i.e. it's going straight to PXE boot.

• I have tried all of the usual (and documented) F keys to try and get into the BIOS (F2) or the boot menu (F10) with no success.
  • I have removed the RAM and tried a boot and this time I got three error beeps through the headphones.
  • CTRL-ALT-DELETE works and will reset the board.

It seems that the board is fine and alive, but without being able to get into the BIOS to change the boot device, the board is pretty useless. Googling this issue seems that I am not alone. Any gems of wisdom here or bright ideas?

My next and only other option is to try a BIOS flash, however, I have some questions:

1. I cannot see the current BIOS version number (as I cannot access the BIOS) - would it therefore be safe to apply the most recent BIOS without stepping through any potential intermediate versions? I.e. I presume a BIOS is cumulative and contains all previous fixes?
  2. Since I cannot access the BIOS, it seems my only option for a BIOS update is to use the BIOS Recovery mode (remove BIOS jumpers, insert USB stick with BIOS on it, reboot etc). I am presuming that I need to copy the BIO file to the USB stick and make it bootable rather than simply copying the BIOS file to an NTFS formatted stick?

thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I think i found the answer to the second question in the technical product spec for the board:

It is unlikely that anything will interrupt a BIOS update; however, if an interruption occurs, the BIOS could be damaged. Table 50 lists the drives and media types that can and cannot be used for BIOS recovery. The BIOS recovery media does not need to be made bootable.

I also found that people recommend FAT32 for the thumbdrive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem. Did you managed to resolve it with BIOS upgrading in Recovery mode ? Any develoment since your last post ?

0 Kudos