Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11435 Discussions

DQ77MK Ethernet port selection

pantsi01
Novice

Hello i firstly used my black ethernet port (82574L) for internet connection and it always shows up as "Ethernet 2". I plugged another ethernet cable at the 82579LM port (red) to have it spare there in case i have a disabled port sometime. How can i set the black Ethernet port as default and change it name to Ethernet 1?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Your board has two Ethernet interfaces. The primary interface, which is always enumerated first, utilizes the MAC that is embedded in the chipset (the Q77 PCH component) and a separate 82579LM component, which provides an Ethernet PHY. The secondary interface has a standalone 82574L component, which include both a MAC and an Ethernet PHY.

The primary interface is the one with the Red connector. The secondary interface is the one with the Black interface.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Just rename the port in Windows like you would rename any file.  It is just a windows generated name.

Control Panel , Network and Sharing, Change Adapter Setings, and rename till your heart is content.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

pantsi01
Novice

Thanks for the answer...it may sounds stupid the whole thing but before a few days i was downloading a 6gb file from Chrome explorer. Around 5gb of download i had an "Express Vpn adapter" failure (because i firstly started the download with a vpn provider and then i switched to my standard connection) and temporarily disabled my black port and froze the download. (It worked again after reboot) I couldnt renable the port and i didnt want to lose the download too because it was coming down slowly so the only solution was to use the red ethernet port to complete succesfully the download. 

AlHill
Super User

Sorry, I do not do Chrome.

pantsi01
Novice

For some reason which i dont know 82579lm is set as the default connection. Can i change that to be the 82574l the default connection and the other to be the slave one?

pantsi01
Novice
I tried setting the L-one master and the LM-one slave on Windows but after reboot the LM is again the one who has the control of the connection.
AlHill
Super User

Could be just the way Windows enumerates the devices when booting up.

pantsi01
Novice
I think its something deeper...even in the Bios the LM-one is in the first place and below is the L-one for internet connection. There are no settings can be done so only Intel knows about this. Maybe its a matter of network priorities. Btw thanks for the answer. (I attach a photo)
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Your board has two Ethernet interfaces. The primary interface, which is always enumerated first, utilizes the MAC that is embedded in the chipset (the Q77 PCH component) and a separate 82579LM component, which provides an Ethernet PHY. The secondary interface has a standalone 82574L component, which include both a MAC and an Ethernet PHY.

The primary interface is the one with the Red connector. The secondary interface is the one with the Black interface.

Hope this helps,

...S