Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DQ77MK does not boot automatically from SSD drive

My Intel DQ77MK board with an Intel Core i7-3770 does not boot automatically from a Crucial M4 64GB SATA-600 SSD drive with VMware ESXi 5.0.0U1 on it. Connecting it to another SATA port, changing the boot order or resetting the BIOS to defaults does not help. It does boot automatically from a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA-300 drive with CentOS 6.3 on it. I can boot ESXi from the SSD using the boot menu F10.

Anyone else having this problem?

Regards,

Gijsbert

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Since ESXi 5 uses GPT, you have to enable 'UEFI Boot' in the Boot menu of the BIOS to boot from the SSD.

Gijsbert

Highlighted
Community Manager

Unfortunately the boot now hung on 'Initializing ACPI'. Reinstalling ESXi on the SSD drive with the UEFI setting enabled in the BIOS did not help. As booting from the USB key with the ESXi 5 installer did not hang on 'Initializing ACPI' I installed ESXi on another USB key, and NOW ESXi boots automatically.

Any ideas why enabling 'UEFI Boot' causes the ESXi boot to hang on 'Initializing ACPI' when booting from a SSD drive?

Gijsbert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

BIOS update 0049 fixes this issue.

Gijsbert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the info about GPT. I could not get ESXi to boot from a USB stick before changing the UEFI setting you refered to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Since there is a BIOS update for DQ77MK to resolved ESXI ACPI hang boot issue with UEFI settings. Is there any possibility to have the same BIOS fix for DQ67SW ?

I have the same problem with ESXI 5.5 freezing in ACPI initialization, and it works only UEFI is disabled, but this does not allow me to boot from USB key. Please Intel, can your elite engineer come out with some magic to fix the BIOS so that ESXI 5.5 will not complain about the ACPI loading ?

Your help is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos