cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DQ77MK network problems when both NIC's enabled in BIOS

Hi,

I have Intel DQ77MK motherboard with latest BIOS installed. When I enable the secodary LAN port on BIOS I will get high latency and packet loss problems. I'm using Linux and I have already compiled the lates kernel (3.6.0) which should have the latest e1000 driver. Symptoms of the problem are the following:

- Enable secondary LAN on bios

- Boot to OS

- Ping IP-address assigned on the secondary LAN

- At first everything will look ok, but after a while the ping starts to climb to 1000ms and packets starts to get dropped. The problem will also get worst by time and after a couple of hours the connection will become totally unusable.

I'am also using Intel AMT which is running on the other LAN-port, and also that LAN-port starts lagging when both of the LAN ports are enabled. When only using one LAN-port (intel AMT and normal network connection on the same port) there is no problems at all. I suspect that this might be some IRQ or BIOS related problem and not a driver problem, since when I ping the IP-address that has been assigned to the Intel AMT it will also so high latencies, and that Intel AMT port has nothing to do with Linux or its drivers.

Intel: Could you please investigate this issue and see if you can reproduce the symptoms? Or do you ahve any ideas what could cause this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Valtteri Kiviniemi,

Based on the fact that Linux* is not an official supported platform for this motherboard, the assistance we offer is limited. Our recommendation is contacting your Linux* distribution support group for further assistance on this issue. We also recommend reviewing the following website for more troubleshooting on network issues:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-022309.htm Desktop Boards — Troubleshooting network issues

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

The problem is OS independent. In order to reproduce the problem you need to only enable both of the NIC's in BIOS. The you can just leave the computer to for example idle in the BIOS screen. Then if you ping the IP-address assigned to the Intel AMT interface you will see elevated latency. Normally its like <1ms in LAn, but then suddenly its over 1000ms.

And this will ONLY happen if both of the NIC's are enabled in BIOS.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I have now also tested Windows 7 SP1 on ANOTHER DQ77MK that I just purchased this week. I flashed the latest BIOS and then I again enabled both of the NIC's in BIOS and EXACTLY the same problem than with the previous board running Linux. So with latest BIOS and latest Windows 7 SP1 with every windows update and latest drivers from Intel installed causes high latencies when both of the NIC's are enabled.

Tomorrow I'm going to install Linux also to this board so I cant test this any further. But on this point I don't really think that its my job to do the job of Intel engineers. So please Intel, investigate this by yourself, there is clearly some problem with this motherboard which cannot be fixed by customer itself.

JDavi26
Beginner

The network technicians at my company are also complaining about NIC issues with the DQ77MK board. They have noticed that the red NIC has been "less" troublesome and different drivers don't seem to make a difference. We build with this board about 5-10 times a week so it would be nice if an Intel rep could shed some light on the issue. Clearly it is not a Linux problem but a "hardware" issue.

idata
Community Manager

Will report this issue to the engineering department so that they check on ti.

Thanks for your reports.