Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSwar4
Beginner

DQ77MK older bios version?

Hi, i would like to know if it's still possible to get older bios versions for the DQ77MK motherboard, a few months back all the older bios versions were available, listed under the new version,and i updated the board one bios version at a time,i have 2 more of these boards with the old mk0050 bios, the lastest being mk0074, i was advised not to do such a big jump in the bios level, and to update one level at a time, after doing some reading it, it seems those that have done the big bios update have "bricked" the board . Have Intel pulled them all? or are they available? i've had a good look round the Intel site and can't seem to find anything .

Thanks in advance

Dave

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, the board is discontinued. So, we will see what can be done. I will email the appropriate people.

Doc

DSwar4
Beginner

These boards are still very popular even if quite old now,they are very reliable,i was quite surprised when all the older versions of the bios were removed,the last thing i want to do is "brick" the 2 boards i have. Thank you for your help it's greatly appreciated.

Dave

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

Due to the security updates that have been fixed lately, all older BIOSs have been removed so people can't go back to an unsecured version. Have you tried doing a jumper recovery to the latest BIOS? You should be fine no matter what the previous BIOS was. Only time you can't jump that far is when you use iFlash, F7 flash, or EBU.

Steps for Jumper Recovery:

1. Slow Format a flash drive in FAT32. (Uncheck "Quick Format" in the dialog box.
  2. Copy ONLY the *.BIO for the board you want to flash to the root of the newly formatted flash drive. Do not have any other files on the drive.
  3. With the system powered off, remove the yellow jumper next to the SATA ports on the board.
  4. Plug in the flash drive and power on the system. Within a few seconds a countdown will show the start of the recovery flash.
  5. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING until it is finished flashing.
  6. When the message appears telling you to power off, power off the system and remove AC power. Let it sit for 10 seconds then restore the yellow jumper back onto pins 1-2 on the board next to the SATA ports.
  7. Power back on and enter BIOS setup. Verify you are on the correct BIOS revision and press F9 to restore Default Settings. Press F10 to Save & Exit BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

M.

DSwar4
Beginner

I was a bit sceptical about doing this, but i followed your instructions carefully, got a bit worried when the bios flash started as i was getting a 2 tone bleep bit like a police siren which went on for about 8-10 seconds! i let it run and go through the flashing procedure, took around 3-4 mins and it completed successfully,switched off and unplugged, left it for a minute,replaced the jumper switched back on and restored the defaults, worked perfectly. That has also cured the CMOS check sum error i was getting.

Thank you very much for the clear instructions, i really appreciate all your help.

Dave

DoinStuff
Beginner

I've got the older BIOS files for that boaed, which do you need? And how do you want them delivered?

DoinStuff

AlHill
Super User

@DoinStuff​ 

Did you read the post above? "Due to the security updates that have been fixed lately, all older BIOSs have been removed so people can't go back to an unsecured version. "

Will you take responsibility for providing unsecured versions to users?

Doc

KThom30
Beginner

Hi just got hold of a replacement board DQ77MK for one i messed up the processor socket on.

It had an old bios version MK0062 and managed to update it with MK0074 from another source as Intel have removed all their links to downloads page.

Problem is that it still doesn't solve my problem, which is the recognition of an nvme ssd drive in boot.

This really needs a bios update to solve it as Windows 10 recognised it no problem until it rebooted.

I really don't know what Intel is playing at, by not catering for these drives as Microsoft has the driver anyway, and the update software found it easily.

Unfortunately the PCIe cards that you can get for 4 slots don't have any bios onboard, like the USB3, or Sata raid cards.

Why? Am I missing a trick here, or just too dumb to understand why no-one has either updated the bios, or made a card with a bios onboard.

If I could write the software file to bios myself, i would have.

Please someone help here.as there must be a large market for this update.

AlHill
Super User

There will be no bios update for these old boards.

Doc

KThom30
Beginner

It really seems a bit stupid of Intel to completely wipe out all the bios files for older boards when all they needed was to archive them like most of the other motherboard manufacturers.

With the speed of new ssds connected to them they are still relevent, and an nvme at pcie2 speeds they can still hack it.

How dificult is it to hack latest bios files and re-compile them to show nvme's on the pcie bus, so boot process can recognise them?

Its a shame its not in linux as it would have been sorted by now and open source.

Or is that a dirty word here?

KThom30
Beginner

I've been messing with computers since a Sinclair ZX Spectrum got me started, so that my sons could play games on them.

Computer fairs used to let us repair them and started us up on PCs, and have been upgrading them ever since.

Have been swopping from AMD to Intel and back again as the new tec moved on, and now in my seventy's, i'm still playing with new boards and the latest chips, chipsets and bios config's.

New telephones with 4k screens are now bigger and laptops and tablets are ok, but a desktop is just so much more fun, and even had a small PC then Android device for work, sound and Satnav in car.

Keep up the inovations please!!!

OTrav
Beginner

I apologize in advance for my bad English and if this is not the right thread

The past january I buy a replacement board DQ77MK to replace my old one Gigabyte that stopped working because of a problem in some mosfets.

For a few days it worked correctly until one day that started displaying the following message:

"BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)"

If I pressed "N" I kept booting windows and could work normally but one day I wondered why he showed that message, so instead of pressing "N" I pressed "Y" and then the PC booted in bios mode.

I pressed F9 to restore the default values ​​and F10 to save and exit and then, the image froze on the screen and the keyboard and mouse stopped working. I had to turn off with the power button.

From that moment the mobo didn't showed video again.

No error beep sounds.

The processor fan does start up but does not show any images.

I have tried the following:

- Remove the battery

- Short circuit the battery receptacle connectors

- Reset indicated on page 64 of the "Intel MEBX" reset manual.

- Change the jumper from position 1-2 to 2-3 (page 63 of the manual)

- the process described by MRoss5200 (pages 75-76 of the manual) and try it with the last bios I found MK0073.bio and MK0074 (which is what the mobo had) I tried with some pendrives (2GB, 4GB, 16GB and 32GB), sdcard, microSD usb adapter...

In each attempt I have always waited up to 20 minutes (since I cannot see any message on the screen) with the hope that it works.

But nothing has worked. No message is displayed.

I have verified that it cannot work because when the mobo oot, only sends power to the USB ports for the first 3 or 4 seconds, after that no power arrives. I have checked it because my keyboard does not turn on any LED, regardless of which USB I connect it.

I imagine that the bios got corrupted and didn't bounce.

In order to solve the problem I bought a CH341A Mini Programmer to try to program the bios, but I see that it uses two chips:

Winbond 25Q32BVSIG (32 Mb - 4MB) and winbond 25Q64FVSIG (64Mb - 8MB)

The files MK0073.bio and MK0074.bio are 14.1 MB (14,811,168 bytes) and I don't know how I should flash them

AlHill
Super User

You should have started a new thread.

No support for rom programmers is provided here. All you will get is the .bio file and the .exe.

Are you using an add-on graphics card? If so, remove it and use the onboard graphics port.

Are you booting in legacy or uefi mode?

Doc

OTrav
Beginner

Thank's for your answer.

I understand what you tell me there is no support for external bios programmer.

But I can't find another way to recover a possible corruption of the bios.

I have tried with the internal graphics and with an old geforce 210 that is working on another PC.

Before the error I booted in UEFI mode. Afther the error does not start even bios.

I have verified that if I do not install any memory sim, if it beeps 3 times, pause, 3 beeps, pause and so on indefinitely. If I install one sim in any of the 4 sockets, no beeps sound.

AlHill
Super User

Use the BIOS recovery procedure defined here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005630/boards-and-kits.html

You should also try a different power supply.

You may have to face the reality of having a failed board.

Doc

OTrav
Beginner

Yes, I have tried the procedure of your link. The problem (I think) is that the USB ports don't receive power in order to work. And never, never, any video is showed. In the link I read that a message appears in the screen https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/images/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/eb3.jpg but in my case nothing with the integrated vga and nothing with a pci-e vga.

The only I don't try is ussing a CD-rom.

I tried with all other components (ram, cpu, vga, power supply) that are working in a old PC with a gigabyte GA-H61M-DSV2.

AlHill
Super User

With a wired keyboard, are you able to get to the bios using F2 when you turn on your PC?

Doc

OTrav
Beginner

I have tried with a usb wired keyboard that I use with mi tvbox, but I don't now if have any effect. No image in the display.

I can't confirm if the keyboard works or not.

AlHill
Super User

Ok, with the wired keyboard, follow the procedure in this thread EXACTLY as Scott has defined it. DO NOT TAKE ANY SHORTCUTS. Perform it EXACTLY as he says:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004HIiQ1SAL/unable-to-update-bios-past-0035-dh61cr

If I find out you took a shortcut, well, just follow it EXACTLY as described. Do not think "I have done that before" and skip a step. No matter how menial, follow it EXACTLY. OK?

Then, report back.

Doc

OTrav
Beginner

Hi again Al.Hill and thanks for your patience ...

I definitely believe that I will not be able to solve the error.

I think I have followed Scott's post as the thread shows and can be seen in this video (sorry for the disorganization of the office)

For this test I used a new Power Supply and a I5-3570. The monitor is a old 17" samtron that I use as second monitor in the PC that I use to format the pendrive.

Te pendrive is a old 4GB USB 2.0

As you can see, it never shows anything on the monitor, nor does anything change.

You can also check that the LED on the pendrive turns on a few seconds and then no longer gives any signal.

I have also tried the CD-rom method connected to each and every SATA port, although I have not made video.

To check if the motherboard responds I have done the following test:

I have removed the only ram module and when you remove it you can hear the three short beeps as it says in table 48 (page 64) of the manual of the mobo.

I have made a video where you can verify that the three beeps sound and the mobo power off and repeat entire pattern.

Thank you very much again

AlHill
Super User

Well, let the board rest in peace. Also, you do know that the board requires memory to run, right? 3 beeps is a memory error.

Take the board to a recycle facility, say a few words, and let it go.

Doc