Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DQ87PG - USB boot devices don't show up in F10 boot menue

If've configured my BIOS to *not* boot USB devices first. Booting from USB is enabled as well as the F10 boot menue. There are two SSD in my PC and the the first SSD is the boot device (legacy boot).

So far I could insert a bootable USB flash drive and when pressing F10 there was a list with my two SSDs and the flash drive which I could select and boot from.

The only change I've made since is updating the BIOS from 148 to 149.

When pressing F10 now, there are only my two SSD - no USB flash drive shows up.

The only way to boot from an USB flash drive now is to enable to boot USB devices first which isn't desirable nor practical.

It seems that BIOS 149 screwed something up, so please fix it!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Did you update the BIOS version to fix an issue? You may roll back if you do not need the new fixes/features listed here: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24359/eng/PG_0149_ReleaseNotes.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24359/eng/PG_0149_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Highlighted
Beginner

I upgraded because of the implemented security enhancements, so I don't want to roll back.

Is there a bug in BIOS 149 with the F10 boot menue and USB boot devices that wasn't in BIOS 148?

Will it be fixed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Intel!

Could please someone answer.

The USB devices show up inside the BIOS (where the boot order can be set), but they don't show up with F10.

So, is it a bug and will it be fixed, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi jb0

Would you mind telling the brand/model of the USB device that is not being displayed when you press [F10]; in addition to that, did you try other USB devices (different brand and model)?

What is the security enhancement implemented in BIOS 149 that you do not want to lose if you roll back to BIOS 148?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Different USB thumb drives like AMACOM, CORSAIR VOYAGER, SANDISK all of which worked fine before BIOS 149.

See the Technical Advisory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Somewhat disappointing, but still not statement from Intel...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

F10 seems even more erratic. Even the two attached SSD devices don't show up all the time. Sometimes only the first devices appears, sometimes both, and sometimes one of it has a strange label.

In the BIOS' boot device order setup, however, everything's OK.

Can someone with BIOS 149 confirm or disconfirm?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi jb0,

dWe created a lab with our Intel® Desktop Board DQ87PG, Intel® Core™ i5-4670, and 1 memory stick plus Microsoft® Windows 8.1. We got the same issue with the BIOS version 0149 with the F10 option.

Then, updated BIOS to the latest version 0152 with the recovery method and the problem disappear. USBs, Hard Disk Drives and Solid State Drives are available pressing F10.

Bios file: PG0152.BIO

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25167/BIOS-Update-PGQ8710H-86A- Intel® Download Center

Be sure the Legacy Boot, UEFI Boot and Boot from USB options are enable on the Boot tab. The USB Legacy needs to be enable on Devices tab.

Please try with your system and let us know the behavior.

MiKe C

Highlighted
Beginner

BIOS 0152 didn't solve the problem for me.

I have Legacy Boot and Boot from USB enabled, but UEFI Boot disabled (because I don't have any UEFI boot sector).

The proble is, that none of my devices (neither the SSD devices nor any attached USB devices) will show up - so it isn't a USB problem, but a general "devices don't show up" problem. Instead of the devices, I only see one line saying "IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1403".

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi jb0,

Did you try loading BIOS default settings by any chance?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Of course, I did load BIOS default settings in 0152.

Here is what I've changed from the defaults:

Devices

Onboard Devices

Legacy Device Configuration

Mode: ECP

Num Lock: DISABLED

Power

Secondary Power Settings

Wake on PS/2 Keyboard from S5: Alt-PrtSc

Boot

Boot Priority

UEFI Boot: DISABLED

Boot Configuration

UEFI Boot

Startup Sound: DISABLED

Boot Devices

Internal UEFI Shell: ENABLED

Network: DISABLED

Boot Display Config

Display F12 for Network Boot: ENABLED

Display CTRL-P for IntelR MEBX: DISABLED

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The bug seems strangely related to USB.

As mentioned, I have two internal SSD devices (Port 0 and Port 1).

Without any USB device attached, F10 says just "SATA Port 1". With an USB thumb drive or an external harddrive with USB connection, F10 says just "SATA Port 0". with both USB drives attached, F10 says just "IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1403", which seems to be the LAN device - a device I've configured "disable".

Strange. And there is always only one line with F10!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This may have nothing to do with the problem that you have encountered, but note the following:

I noticed that, in the release notes for the just-released BIOS for the DZ87KLT-75K board, there was an entry saying that a bug was fixed that caused some devices to not appear in the list (unfortunately, the entry was that terse). This same entry was not in the release notes for the latest BIOS for the DQ87PG. Now, I have seen cases in the past where the release notes did not have entries for all fixes included. There is a possibility that this latest BIOS has this fix. I would try it. If it doesn't, there is a likelihood that a BIOS is forthcoming that has this fix...

...Scott

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Why is there no reaction from Intel?

I've provided all necessary information.

PLEASE FIX THIS BUG.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm finally back to BIOS 148 and - miracle! - the F10 boot menu works fine again.

So don't tell me that there is something wrong with my PC or my devices.

There's only one thing wrong: INTEL's BIOS! Shame on you, Intel!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

This board is driving me crazy. I've long suffered from the F10 = Only one boot device problem.

I've tried to solve it today. I was at bios 0152 and tried recovery flashing to 0152. Did not help.

I then tried recovery flashing to 0148 - didn't help. I then flashed 0149 (not sure if recovery or F7) - didn't help.

Always tried loading the BIOS defaults in between of course.

And even with 0148 the F10 menu did not show me the boot devices (only the primary harddisk).

I tried flashing 0139 - with that the board did not even boot. Then I recovered again to 0152 and at least it works again.

Also I removed the CMOS battery which cleared time/date/settings. Did not help with the F10 problem.

This board is haunted :-(

If someone has a way to get from 0152 without a working F10 menu back to a working state, please come forward! :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi A.Mustermann,

Let me know if you already reset BIOS settings with F9 and you have enable UEFI and Legacy Boot.

Mike C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, you need to remember that this is a user-to-user support forum. While there are Intel support people responding to many queries, this is NOT guaranteed. If you really want to have Intel respond to a request, you need to directly contact (i.e. not through here!) Intel Customer Support. But, before you do so, you need to hear something else...

Next, you need to remember that Intel exited the Desktop Board business some number of years ago. They no longer design or manufacture desktop motherboards (they leave this to the third party suppliers - Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) and, since all existing boards have passed both their End-Of-Life and End-of-Interactive-Support dates, Intel is no longer providing maintenance updates or any other kind of support for these boards. If you go to the Intel Download Center page for a particular Desktop Board product, you will see the following message prominently displayed: "End of Interactive Support Notice: Intel no longer provides email, chat or phone support for this product".

Bottom line, you are not going to see a fix for this issue. Your only recourse - and only if you are within three years of your original purchase date - is to have Intel replace your board (which will obviously accomplish nothing in your case).

Don't shoot the messenger...

...S

0 Kudos