Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11381 Discussions

DX38BT won't run in ECC mode with ECC memory?

idata
Community Manager

I have a DX38BT motherboard with a Q9300 Core2 Quad processor, and 2 x 1GB of Crucial ECC memory (CT2KIT12872BA1339). ECC is enabled in the BIOS, but when I run MemTest, it reports the board operating in Non-ECC mode. I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is.

Is there another way besides MemTest to verify ECC vs. Non-ECC operation?

The DX38BT is supposed to support ECC.

The Crucial memory scanner says they system supports ECC.

I believe the Q9300 supports ECC but haven't been able to verify. Does anybody know for sure?

My OS is Windows 7 (but MemTest is a bootable DOS program, so the OS doesn't matter to it).

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You can download CPUz google it , and it will tell you weather you are in ECC mode , But Why use ECC ,I have two of these boards and I'm runing 8GB DDR3-1333-10600. If needed you can clock that Ram up to 1400Mhz at 1.6 volts , Stable fast and dependable.

idata
Community Manager

I have a DX38BT attempting to run the same memory that is not fast, safe, dependable

have OCZ gold DD3 PCS-10666 2gig 9-9-9-20 chips

suggestions?

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Your problem is the memory is not compatable . you need DDR3-1333-1600, Not 10666 , the 10666 will not work right because of the BIOS , when the sys BOOTS it's looking for 10600, if it sees ram thats 66Mhz higher it either will not boot or if it boots it will not be stable . Got the wrong ram Get crucial it will work.

idata
Community Manager

Intel's tech specs says, "DDR3 1333, DD3 1066, and DDR3 800 MHZ SDRAM DIMMS"

Can you point me to any Intel spec as to DD3 1066 being different from 10666?

Thanks very much

JLD

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

This is the best ram that you can use in a DX38 Board.. It even be overclocked to 1400Mhz at 1.6 volts safe and stable .I run it every day at those specs. No problems.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I run 4 sticks for 8GB Ram.

idata
Community Manager

Robert

I was at the Crucial website, when you replied. Thank you

I do not overclock

would you install "auto," or manually set timing and if the later, to what numbers?

Am on my way to the store, as I must get this system stable

Best regards

JLD

idata
Community Manager

Robert

Can you outline the sets you took in the BIOS to overclock your memory?

Best regards

JLD

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I've got two sys with this Crucial Ram , One DX38BT, QX9650 , 8GB Ram , the other it's Big Brother the DX48BT2, X3380 Xeon , 8GB ram , I use the Intel desk top control center to adjust Ram Frq. and Volts . The Xeon has a locked multiplyer, so I just turn up the FSB to 350 , which takes me from 3.16Mhz and 1333Mhz , to 3.33Mhz and 1400Mhz Leave the CPU volts in auto Man. adjust the ram volts from 1.5 to 1.6 . To get 1400Mhz stable cool and dependable. Now with the QX9650 it's different because it has a unlocked multiplyer, with that CPU you can change the Multiplyer from 9.5 to 11.5 turn up the FSB to 400Mhz and you get 3.8Mhz , and the Ram do the same set volts to 1.6 at 1400Mhz . But Belive it or not the Xeon is faster.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you go to crucial the mem you have may be ECC but not registered ECC So it probably will not show up as ECC. the part# for the reg. Ecc is CT2KIT12872BV1339S.

idata
Community Manager

I got CPU-z and ran it. Nice tool, but I don't see where it reports ECC vs. Non-ECC. If I just missed it, please point it out in more detail because I can't see it.

The Intel Product Guide for the DX38BT says it wants "unbuffered, non-registered single or double-sided DIMMs" (p 15), so I'm not sure that getting registered memory would be a fix here. Does the DX38BT even support registered memory? Everything that is recommended by the Crucial scanner is unregistered (unbuffered).

I am using this board as a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) that needs high reliability. Over a span of about a year I spent about 40 hours of time and several hundred dollars chasing a problem that turned out to be a flaky Kingston memory module that failed MemTest at a deep level. I had thought that if the memory passed POST that it was OK, and I have found bad memory that way. It was a surprise to me to find memory that would fail only under certain relatively rare conditions. Trouble is, if the memory occasionally reads back something different that what was written to it, all manner of odd system problems result. I was chasing viruses, cooling problems, bad hard drives, all of which were phantom problems caused by the bad memory. For a few dollars more, it's well worth it to know that the memory is reliable. I think if people thought through the memory reliability problem more, there would be more demand for ECC. Which is what I had hoped to get with the DX38BT, but so far it doesn't look like it is working.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If it is ECC ram it would show up in the SPD tab , If you are realy worried about accurate read/writes , Get a Xeon , for your DX38BT, That's what I did , Besides the Xeon Is a great overclocker , the best model that will work on this board is X-3380 , the specs are between a Q9650 and a QX9770. I have mine running at 3.33 at 1400Mhz. Xeon are just better CPUs if you read about them there is hardly any need for ECC ram with a Xeon.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I don't Know what you paid for the Q9300, But This Xeon can be had NEW for about $325.00 On Ebay . I mean Brand New.

idata
Community Manager

CPU-z, on the SPD tab, has Correction, Registered, Buffered & SPD Ext. all grayed out. Any idea what this means?

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If it's grayed out than the Ram is Not Registered ECC Ram .

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

According To Intel the only ECC By Crucial , is part # CT25672BA1339.18FF , That has been validated for the DX38BT board, it id DDR3-1333 10600 ECC.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I just checked at Crucial's web site the ram that intel sugest is no longer available , the new part # is CT25672BB1339S.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you have to use ECC ram according to crucial the # is CT25672BB1339S.