Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DX48BT2 Bios update 2000 and 2006 freeze or hang problem when using jedec standred 1066MHz memory with XMP profiles when booting or trying to set-up bios settings from defualt values and optimal and a way to fix this, is to down grade to Bios 1997

Please note hardware may or may not be the issue. I think its the Bios update 2000 and later.

This is to let everybody having issues with the Bios update 2000 and 2006 for the DX48BT2 and or maybe DX38BT. I did not really figure this out until I had to complete a warrenty return for my DX48BT2 mother board. When I received the replacment and intergrated the CPU, memory, graphics card and so on. I booted for the first time with Bios 1814 no problems. I left set-up defualts in the Bios and booted to Windows Vista 32 bit. I downloaded the latest Bios update of 2000.exe for Windows. It complete succesfully of course. Then I went in to set-up the Bios, it started to hang. It would hang in the Bios set-up and even when I booted. Then update 2006 came out. It made it worse. Then I called Intel and they sent me another replacment DX48BT2. I then noticed with Bios 1814 that there were no issues. So I updated to Bios 1997. There were no boot hangs or issues setting up the Bios. Please note, It doesn't matter how you update from Bios 1997 to a later release of 2000 or 2006, you will still have the same problem. Also note that when you upgrade with your Bios already configured from Bios 1997 with XMP settings in place, you may or may not see system hangs until, you load defualt and or optimal values and restart without setting any changes to bios and or still may hang in the Bios. So I am sure its not my hardware. In Bios 2000 and later for DX48BT2 and or maybe DX38BT with jedec standred 1066MHZ memory with XMP settings and or other memory for new builds stay with Bios update 1997 until Intel fixes this issue.

So get your game on with a stable bios!

Hardware Configuration

DX48BT2 motherboard

CPU QX9650

Memory OCZ3X13334GK 4GB

Graphics HD4870x2

PSU HX1000W Corsair

WD V raptor drive

Pioneer DVD/CD ROM driver

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have the same problem!!

Well, I explain a little. I had this problem, other with the eSATA controller and POST problems. Intel send me a new motherboard but the same problems continue. I am waiting for a Intel answer now for all the problems.

I confirm that with 1997 BIOS the BIOS setup does not hung (thank you for the information!!).

I have experienced some diferent problems with diferent BIOS versions not only 2000 and 2006 (with these version BIOS setup hungs) about POST, eSATA behaviour and as already said, BIOS hungs.

My system is:

DX48BT2

Core 2 Extreme QX9770

4 DIMMs Intel HyperX 1625 Mhz Intel XMP certified (downclocked to 1333 Mhz because this board does not accept 4 DIMMs at 1625 Mhz)

I hope I will have news from Intel early.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Additional note: I have tried with memories at 1066 and 1333 Mhz and both with BIOS 2000 and 2006 hung.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Remember 1600MHz XMP speed is only supported in the two black dimms at amax size of 2GB per stick, to give you a total of 4GB max at 1600MHz XMP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, I know. This is the reason I have downclocked the DIMMs to 1333 Mhz. Firstly I had only two DIMMs in the black sockets at 1600 Mhz. But I wanted 2 more GB of RAM so I preferred to buy same chip memories and downclock them. It was the cheapest solution.

If you have news about our problems post here, ok? I will do the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have news from Intel. It seems they are going to investigate what happens with BIOS freeze. I hope they consider this a spreaded and general issue and fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Has there been a response from Intel about the Bios update? LOL, over 900 views. You are the only person who replied. Are we the only two people with this issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hehe, maybe we are the unique unlucky people with this issue.

I have no news so far. But apart from that I have a problem when booting at first time. I disconnect the cord from the wall every time I switch off the computer, when I connect again, I get a POST stop asking me "Yes" for enter into the BIOS or "No" to attempt with the current values.

I have answer for this from Intel, this is the option called watchdog or whatever in the BIOS I disablee this in the BIOS but now I get sometimes a black screen instead of the POST message. I can say it is not always.

Apart from that, the BIOS issue we have, if Intel is searching to solve the problem if they consider it like a real problem maybe in a few weeks or a few months we will get a new BIOS version. More ore less BIOS updates come after some months, look into the support web page and more or less is like this.

This is my third DX48BT2 motherboard and always problems... the first one I had directly did not work, USB were not recognized, DVD writer neither... so I could not neither install the operating system, Intel change it fastly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

thanks for the update, why do you unplug it? have you tired leaving it plugged in and see what happens? If you are worried about a power surge. Irecomend a power bar with surge protection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have already the power bar with surge protection, but I unplug it for two reasons:

1) Power consumption of the red light the power bar has (365 days the red light on, and every year, I think it would add a big amount).

2) The computer is in the bed room so I would have a red light all night.

Maybe are not strong reasons to unplug, but it is what I have done till now.

We hope a fast positive response now from Intel, mainly for the BIOS update problem.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have news from Intel, not as good as we desire.

DX48BT2 4 months ago finished its manufacturing. Intel is studying the case but not as fast as a new product, so we must wait to know if they consider our problem as a global problem and include a BIOS update solving it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I've had problems with every bios update since 1893.... just decided to give 2006 update a try, and as soon as Vista (x64) started to boot I get PFN LIST CORRUPT blue screen. Neither Profile 1 (1333@ 1.9V) or manual (1333 @1.7V, suggested setting for my modules) works (BOTH worked fine in 1893) and Vista boot time is about 2x-3x longer with 2006 than 1893(running 1066)! Now this is an improvement over previous updates, which wouldnt even run stable at 1066... but thats pretty lame I cant get the 1333 speed I paid for. That and the 4GB 1600 yellow note in the box definitely have me thinking twice about an intel board the next system I build....

I have 2 nearly identical systems and have same issues with both setups so pretty certain its not a faulty hardware issue

Home: Q9550, DX48BT2, 4x2GB Patriot Viper 1333 DDR3, EVGA 8800GT 1GB, 4x 320GB Sata II in RAID 0, 750W PSU

Work: Q9450, DX48BT2, 4x2GB Patriot Viper 1333 DDR3, EVGA 8800GT 1GB, 2x 750GB Sata II in RAID 1, 700W PSU

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

So I just tried plugging in an esata drive... which crashed windows... and even after the drive was unplugged, Vista x64 still couldnt complete booting without crashing. Thankfully I was able to boot in safe mode and roll back the bios to 1893. This is really frustrating, why can't Intel make motherboards as reliable as their processors?!

0 Kudos