Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11360 Discussions

DX58SO Memory Configuration

KKout
Beginner

Hello,

I own DX58SO, with Intel Core i7 920@2.67Ghz, with 3x2GB DD3 PC3-10700(667MHz).

I want to update to maximum RAM configuration and i wanted to ask exactly what kind of kit should i buy. I have heard something about 4x4GB @ 1600 or even 4x8GB.

So, what would it be the most reliabe and fast configuration i should go with?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SGeor9
Beginner

For maximum performance you should use 3 modules. I am currently using 3x8GB with X5650 CPU.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello All:

Thank you Al Hill for the information provided for the supported memory on this board.

You may also find that information here (while checking Hill's link, I was redirected to another website):

http://ark.intel.com/products/36888/Intel-Desktop-Board-DX58SO Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO Specifications>go to memory specifications

Now regarding the configuration of amount of modules you should go with 2 or 4 to take advantage of the memory channels properly.

If any additional or new questions come, do not hesitate to contact the Intel Communities again.

Regards,

Esteban C

SGeor9
Beginner

The Nehalem platform is 3 channel. With 4 modules it is in single channel mode and this is bad for the performance.

Jb161
Beginner

@ Esteban,

I believe I read somewhere that 2 ram sticks will make the dx58so run in dual channel, and if 4 ram sticks are used I believe this board will still only run in dual channel but with the black slot splitting it's bandwidth with another slot, essentially lowering at least 1 slot by 1/2 speed? I could be wrong, but i know for a fact 3 ram sticks is the best for the dx58so board ;-)

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee
Jb161
Beginner

Not sure what you wanted me to check

I read this

NOTE Installing memory in Channel A, DIMM 1 may result in less than optimal memory performance.

But it doesnt actually say channel A makes the computer run in either single or dual, it also doesnt confirm what i said, or what anyone in this thread said aside from using 3 sticks is best. o.O

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Meintool:

I found some information regarding this, which would apply to some specific sockets.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dual-triple-and-quad-channel-me... Everything You Need to Know About the Dual-, Triple-, and Quad-Channel Memory Architectures - Triple-Channel Architectur…

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C