Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SVega
Beginner

DX58SO RAM Issue

I have a DX58SO motherboard that I have been running 12G of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Mhz in a triple channel configuration. This had been up and running for nearly a year. This weekend, I took the system apart to changed out the cpu cooler. Now that I have reassembled, it refuses to POST with all three RAM modules installed; it gives 3 error beeps at startup which indicates a RAM error. It will POST just fine with two modules installed in the dual channel configuration. I have swapped out modules and all 3 will work in dual channel but it will not POST with any of the 3 in Channel A. As per the user manual, I am populating all 3 BLUE RAM slots for triple channel and the furthest from the CPU 2 BLUE slots for dual channel. Did my Channel A just crap out or is there something I am missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, it is certainly possible that something crapped out, but let's avoid making any assumptions. I would suggest that the first thing you try is reseating the DIMM in Channel A and, because the memory controllers are in the processor, reseating the processor as well -- and, while you have the processor out of the socket, inspect the socket's pins for damage (it is very easy to bend pins while (re-)installing the processor).

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello, All:

Paramedic911, please follow the suggestion mentioned above and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

SVega
Beginner

I have reseated the RAM several times trying different sticks in different slots with the same resault. It stiil refuses to POST with 3 sticks installed.

SVega
Beginner

I have also reseated the CPU

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, you've got a dead channel. Whether this is as a result of a failure on the board, a failure in the processor or damage to the processor socket is still to be determined. The latter can be checked by removing the processor again and visually inspecting the socket for bent pins, etc. (I sense you are trying to avoid doing this because of the new cooler installation, but I don't see any alternative). Beyond that, you will need access to another board that can test this processor and/or another processor that can be tested with this board...

...S

idata
Community Manager

Paramedic911, were you able to track this down? I believe that the previous input should help you on what to do next, but let me know if you still have issues with the motherboard.

Regards,

Amy.