cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DX58SO and PCI-E 3.0 Cards compatible?

Greetings!

I've recently purchased a Zotac GTX 690 brand new, and although the card gives me both audio and video, I'm unable to get the drivers to work or have most of the GPU features recognized (Windows gives me error 43 regardless, but the card's name is recognized). I've already done a clean install of both Nvidia drivers and tried using both Windows Vista and 7 to no avail. I also tried updating the BIOS and chipset, but it also had no effect on the situation. However, I'm aware that some PCI-e 2.0 mobos have some kind of setting that changes the PCI-e lanes gen of the card from 3.0 to 2.0 on the PCI-e slot to ensure compatibility, but as far as I know the DX58SO is supposed to take care of those settings automatically. My old GTX 295 works fine, so I reckon' it's not a PCI-e slot issue. I also considered being a gfx card problem, but I find this unlikely since the card is new, and I get no artifacts or glitches on the screen.

Here's my desktop setup for further clarification:

I7 920 @ 3.0GHz

6Gb DDR3 1333MHz

1Tb HDD

DX58SO mobo

nVidia GTX 690

Corsair TX750V2 PSU (also tried using a 850W PSU)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

What Driver are you using , I checked Zotac and Nvida and they both say Ver. # 301.42

idata
Community Manager

I tried using both the one that came with the Zotac CD, and the newest one, which I believe it's 301.42. No effect whatsoever, sadly. Nvidia control panel says "You are currently not using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU", which is ironic, given the fact that the DX58SO has no onboard video.

Also tried plugging the DVI cable in another monitor/DVI port. Nada.

idata
Community Manager

Have you tested the card in another installation?

idata
Community Manager

The computer technician tested the card on a Wisecase a76 motherboard, which I don't believe it's a very reliable testbed for a PCI 3.0 GPU. Unfortunately no one in the area has a 2.0 or 3.0 PCI-e mobo, as far as I know.

I've also examined the GPU thoroughly looking for fried components or some kind of damage on the PCB, but apparently there's no sign of anything of that kind.

I'm inclined to believe that either there's some kind of driver conflict with the mobo's system, or the DX58SO doesn't support PCI-e 3.0, as I've seen people RMA their GPUs only to find that the new one would also have the same problem.

idata
Community Manager

Have you flashed the BIOS on the MB?

idata
Community Manager

I've updated the BIOS to the newest version using Windows, but before that the mobo was with the original BIOS version from factory. Both gave me the same result.

idata
Community Manager

According to the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so/sb/CS-029867.htm TPS, the board supports PCIe 2.0

By the way nVidia shows that the http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-295/features 295 is a PCIe 2.0 card.

idata
Community Manager

The GTX 295 is dandy, but the 690 is a PCI-e 3.0 card, and while I get both video and audio from it, the driver fails to kick in, regardless of version, and I don't see a way to change the PCI-e gen on the DX58SO , unlike other X58 motherboards.

KNoro
New Contributor I

I don't mean to sound weird but, have you used x64 drivers?

The 690 is the latest card out there.

Have you tried using gpu-z and seeing the status?

idata
Community Manager

Yes, I have. The funny thing is that if I clear my HDD from the Nvidia drivers, go to their website and download the most recent drivers, their own automatic detection feature will recognize my OS and the 690, and prompt me to download the most recent and adequate driver for it.

GPU-Z is the very same story, it identifies and recognizes the brand and model, PCI-e BUS and others, however, driver-related things like PhysX and stuff are left unchecked and a couple of others are listed as "unknown".

It's mind boggling, really.

KNoro
New Contributor I

Well, I have a GTS 250 and it reads my system as GTX 690 as well.That's why I asked.You can try sisoft sandra to diagnose all the hardware on your system.Have you tried stress testing the card using furmark?That should yield some results.

Have you tried using both the PCIE slots?Do they both give the same results.Can you try using both your cards together.See if this brings out the stats of the 690.

idata
Community Manager

Whenever I try to use 3D applications I get a D3D error, possibly because something is stopping the drivers from running. Also tried running some of my games benchmark to see that and got that error.

KNoro
New Contributor I

Have you tried using both the PCIE slots?Do they both give the same results.Can you try using both your cards together.See if this brings out the stats of the 690.

idata
Community Manager

The card doesn't fit the secondary PCI-e slot, I'm afraid. You mean if I could use both GTX 295 and GTX 690? I'm not sure the PSU is going to hold, though. Wouldn't that cause the nvidia driver to go crazy? I apologise for asking so many questions, I'm really frustrated by this situation.

KNoro
New Contributor I

Its perfectly normal to ask question mate.Using a psu calulator it says 773w.So if you could use a higher rating psu than your 750w one you could try using them both at once.Just don't stress the system.Just run a diagnostic and see if you can properly detect the 690 hardware.Just put one as primary and one as secondary in the nvidia control panel.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a shot on my old 850w PSU (the thing about it is the 12v rails don't have many amps built into them, but I'll try using each rail on a slot). The PC is at the technician's lab atm, I'll let him know that first thing tomorrow, try it out, and get back to you regardless of the result.

If you have any other ideas, let me know. I'm desperate at this point. lol

Thanks a lot, guys.

KNoro
New Contributor I

Just put one as primary and one as secondary in the nvidia control panel.If the 850w psu can't handle it dont plug it in.You don't want to fry your hardware in desperation mate.Take it easy mate.

idata
Community Manager

The nVidia 6 Series cards (see possible exception for 690 from nVidia site) are supposed to be PCI 2.0 backwards compatible. I checked the 660, 670, 680, and 690.

The nVidia 680 specs say: "The GeForce GTX 680 supports PCI Express 3.0. The Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform is only currently supported up to 5GT/s (PCIE 2.0) bus speeds even though some motherboard manufacturers have enabled higher 8GT/s speeds." This statement IS NOT on the 690 spec sheet. The card itself needs 300 watts.

The EVGA 690 specs (I have an EVGA card) say it requires a PCI 2.0 or 3.0 MB, so it should work, but at a reduced bandwidth. I have read of a number of used of X58 chipset MBs having success with them.

Have you posted on a Zotac forum? I would also try the nVidia forums.

Hope this helps.

idata
Community Manager

So should I change the bus speed or something? I've seen options to do it on the mobo's BIOS if I recall. A Zotac reprsentative said he'd take my case overseas for further evaluation, and nVidia's forums are offline.

idata
Community Manager

I personally would not try altering the bus speeds unless I was sure what the issue was.

I reviewed the DX58SO BIOS dictionary on this site and saw nothing to indicate it would allow PCIe 3.0 switching, either manually or automatically. It will only run the card in 2.0 with reduced bandwidth mode (that is a card backwards compatibility feature, not the MB).

Sorry about the nVidia forums recommendation, I forgot they were hacked. You could try the EVGA forums, but do not know if non-members can search.

FWIW, I had a problerm on a prior machine when trying to use a PCIe 2.0 GPU card on a lower level PCIe 1.x MB and even though the card was allegedly 'backwards compatible', I was beset with random freezes, etc.

My unscientific gut reaction is the 750 power supple does not have the required juice on the one rail, since the 690 is a dual GPU card, even though it does have much better efficiency than the 5-series, and especially the 4 series. I would test with a good single rail PSU of at leat 850W.