cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DX58SO beep error - 2-2 long beeps

Jump to solution

I have an old DX58SO with a Intel i7 930 that's been running great for about a decade now. Recently, it shut off suddenly to the stench of burning plastic and attempted to restart, fail, then shut down.

I cleaned the entire system out, reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, swapped in a new PSU, and re-seated all the connections. Now it will turn on, but fails to boot and gives an error code that I can't find any documentation for: 2 long beeps, pause, two long beeps (2-2).

Some sources suggest this is a RAM error but I've tried booting off every one of the three 4GB sticks I normally run individually and in tandem, but the same error occurs. At this point I'm not certain what else to try, but the earlier burnt plastic smell makes me suspect the motherboard may have burned itself out. Might anyone know what the error code means? Is it time to simply buy a new PC?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

Its sounds like graphics error. Could be that the Integrated GPU is affected or if you have additional GPU please re seat it. Please read the  BIOS Beep Codes for Intel® Desktop Boards

Leon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Its sounds like graphics error. Could be that the Integrated GPU is affected or if you have additional GPU please re seat it. Please read the  BIOS Beep Codes for Intel® Desktop Boards

Leon

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

It does indeed look like the graphics card got fried. I put in an old backup, and the computer booted fine! Unfortunately, the image still has a black, shifting graininess in places that I'd assumed had been a faulty card but may well just be a bad PCIe slot since this is the second card that's blown within a year or so. Might be time for a new mobo.

Either way, thanks for the speedy and accurate diagnosis!