Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IKern1
Beginner

DX58SO boots OS, but will not show Splash screen or BIOS

I have a downed DX58SO desktop board with a Core i7 950, 8GB of DDR3 ram, and an XFX Radeon rx550 that will boot into an OS, but will not display a splash screen, or BIOS setup program. I'm attempting to get it up again due to it's RAID capability, and have attempted removing the CMOS battery, downgrading the BIOS, and switching to recovery and setup modes with the jumper; All of which had no effect. I'm thinking about replacing the bios chip, but want to try and save myself some money and a headache. What do I do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do not mess with the bios chip.

Have you tried a different graphics card?

Doc

IKern1
Beginner

The concerning thing is, this started after a bios update previously. This was the graphics card in it before, and the card works perfectly in another system.​

AlHill
Super User

From what bios version did you upgrade from and did you go straight to the latest from that?

Doc

IKern1
Beginner

I don't know what the previous version was, but I did.​

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This is the classic set of symptoms that you see when you have a newer graphics card that is incompatible with the BIOS on this old board enough to stop it from being able to use the screen but not enough that it stops the system from booting. Of course, the problem is that you cannot configure the BIOS nor can you get to the RAID Option ROM.

I would go back to the latest available BIOS release and then do a CMOS reset and a BIOS Configuration reset. For the CMOS reset, disconnect A/C power and then remove the CR2032 battery from board for 15 minutes. Use the F9 capability in the BIOS to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.

Hope this helps,

...S

IKern1
Beginner

Well I'll be darned. It worked...to a point. I got the setup and splash screen, but now I just don't have the​ Raid ROM

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

To enable the RST ROM, Use F2 to get into BIOS Setup and navigate to the SATA settings. Set the SATA Mode to RAID. Then, use F10 to save the BIOS configuration and exit. When the BIOS Splash Screen reappears, hit CTRL-I to enter the RST ROM.

Hope this helps,

...S