cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAtki1
Beginner

DX79SI Boot Problem

Hey All,

I'm having problems getting my dx79si board to post. I've got the board out, just the cpu, ram and graphics card installed. It stops at code E6 (or is it EB, I'm not sure)...

Does anyone know what I'm looking at? I couldn't recognize anything in the codes in the manual...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If it looks like this:

then it is a 'B'.

If it is stopping at POST code 0xEB, this means that the BIOS hung while initializing the graphics card (executing its Option ROM). This is typically an indicator of an incompatibility between the board and the graphics card. What specific graphics card are you trying to use?

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like!

The graphics card is an nvidea geforce gt 640, made by gigabyte model # gv-n640oc-2gi. The card used to run on this board, so is definitely compatible. The only other ddr3 card i have is a radeon hd6970, I don't think I can test it with that... If I put the gt640 into my other ddr3 pc and try to download some drivers, can I test the card that way?

JAtki1
Beginner

Also if I boot without the graphics card in, it gives the four beep warning for no video card, then continues to post, finishing on 00. It does show E7 for a while just before it finishes, if that means anything......

n_scott_pearson

So what's happening with no graphics card present is the BIOS is giving the no graphics error signal, but it does time out and then attempt to boot headless. Getting to POST code 0xE7 means that it is waiting for user input. With POST code 0x00 coming right after this, it means that the BIOS was waiting to see if the user was going to hit a function key (F2, F7, F10, F12) to request BIOS Setup, etc. This times out after a second or two and then, as the POST code goes to 0x00, it is attempting to boot from the default hard drive.

Ok, so what does this mean? It means that this board is, for some reason, having a problem with the graphics card. There are two things you can do:

1. Try this graphics card in another PC and see what happens there.
  2. Try using the HD6970 graphics card with this board (it can't hurt to try).

Hope this helps,

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

Wow.... yes that helps. It is explained perfectly.... I wish the manual was written in the language you just used.

Thank you very very much for taking the time to help me out.

n_scott_pearson

No problem. Let me know how the testing goes...

...S

JAtki1
Beginner

I tested the suspicious card in another pc... nothing. I ended up having an old giga gts 250 lying in my pc junk pile.... plugged it in... post, boot no worries. It was the gc all along..... Thank goodness too, I really like that motherboard! Thanks again for the help, mystery solved!

n_scott_pearson

Well, that's good news. If you decide you want to upgrade to a better graphics card, I suggest that you try it with the board to verify compatibility before committing to its purchase.

...S