Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DX79SI Hang at POST Code 58

My DX79SI hangs with a POST code of 58.

Problem Details:

• I updated the BIOS a few weeks ago to the latest (I can't tell you the BIOS version because I can't boot my system). The system's been rebooted a few times since I updated the BIOS.
  • When I rebooted my system today, I first got stuck at POST 9B. After unplugging and plugging back in various USB mice, eventually the BIOS decided to get stuck on POST 58.
  • I tried using the Back to BIOS button but it had no apparent effect. So, I moved the BIOS jumper to "configuration" and rebooted.
  • Now, I get the BIOS splash screen (with the extra, redundant Intel logo) and the number "58" at the lower right. There is no other text on the screen. There the computer sits for several minutes. (Several minutes == >5 minutes). After that, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper-left corner. And it's still there after 10 minutes...

Hardware Details:

• 32GB XMP memory
  • Nvidia GeForce 670
  • Various USB peripherals
  • Three SATA drives

My question is: How can I get my system working again? Is it time to ask for an RMA? Thank you.

Stuart

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

I just noticed that when the screen went black (with the cursor in the upper left corner) the POST code changed to 5B (resetting SATA). What on earth is going on with the BIOS?

Stuart

idata
Community Manager

The BIOS screen finally showed up after about ten minutes of the blinking cursor. Yahoo! The BIOS version is SIX7910J.86A.0553.2012.1027.1042. Not sure what to check here... I rebooted with the BIOS jumper back to normal and POST code 58 is back...

idata
Community Manager

Waiting a long time eventually brought Windows 8 back. But why does BIOS wait so long at POST 58? (USB optimization is set to ""...) It takes roughly 10 minutes to boot my DX79SI - I don't feel that's reasonable...

idata
Community Manager

My system still takes an unreasonable amount of time to boot... However, the system does start up eventually... Now my mouse is suffering the slow and jerky problem. I don't know if it's related to the BIOS issue but from what I've read online, there appears to be a connection.

Stuart

idata
Community Manager

I reinstalled the BIOS (553 I think it was) but no change. Is it possible to go back to an earlier BIOS version?

idata
Community Manager

can someone take a bios backup using

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-733226a8.html Download Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.zip

and post for us or send by email ?

Thank you

idata
Community Manager

I think that disabling UEFI helps. Worked for me.

Sutton Shin

idata
Community Manager

I'll give it a try - thanks!

Stuart

ZAgha
New Contributor II

Anyone interested in a BIOS version: SIX7910J.86A.0460.2012.0327.1627

Which I have seen to be the most stable BIOS as I have tried them all.

If anyone wants that BIOS in a ROM format just PM me or you can downgrade to that BIOS version

CHurs1
Beginner

I know this is a dead thread for an old board... but this is a problem with the firmware on the Renesas USB 3 controller.

The firmware downloads are only available for the DX79TO and DX79SR motherboards despite being most likely the same controller chip as these boards were released simultaneously and we see the same error listed here from most users.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22775/USB-3-0-Renesas-Electronics-USB-3-0-Firmware-Updates Intel® Download Center

If anyone at Intel is listening then could you please post a new firmware for the DX79SI motherboard as this error is inexcusable

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Churst,

I see you are working on another thread and reporting same thing. Please keep on this thread:

/thread/50725?sr=stream&ru=511709 https://communities.intel.com/thread/50725?sr=stream&ru=511709

Kevin m

AHood1
Beginner

Hi I Just recently had the same problem and Im glad you figured it out ...but im stumped I was wondering if you might have any ideas on my post. everytime i think of a fix i ruin my system ..lol