i7 3960x

DX79SI

Intel 520 Series SDD 240gb

EVGA gtx 580

Corsair 16gig(8x2) ddr3 1600 1.5v

LG HD-DVD/BluRay

1100 Watt Tagan BZ Series PSU

Win7 Ult 64bit

Have updated all drivers/bios. I was getting Driver PCI returned invalid ID for a child device (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF00) in event logs when windows would Hang. Basically anything video intense causes Window to lock I am forced to hard restart. I will start up a game from steam for the first time pretty much guarantee I will lock up within 20 seconds. Second time I load up the game I can play around 2-3min then lock up. Load it up again and I can play 10-15 min then Lock. I have USB 3.0 disabled in BIOS which fixed my child device problem but now the computer just locks up and I look in the event logs and no errors around the time of the lock up. I have minidumps enabled and I am not seeing any minidumps being made. Just installed windows last night so pretty clean system. Running the last nvidia drivers. any suggestion would help! I am totally stumped on where to go. maybe because my consumer IR is disabled in BIOS? and has no drivers? Should I RMA the board? Also checked all my Temps everything looks good. Ran memtest86+ for 4 hrs no errors at all.

Please Help!!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Just wanted to post an update on my status. Tried a different set of ram. Tried the first 4 dims on the MB. Tried an older ATI 4780. Computer still crashing under load. Thinking could possibly be a faulty PSU not sure. Temps on CPU and GPU still good. any suggestion would be loved. picking up a different PSU tomorrow to test that if that doesn't fix it I am assuming the MB is bad.

idata
Community Manager

Tried the new PSU got the same crashes I got before. Also tried a different SSD got the same crashes as before. Only two parts left MB and CPU. Guessing my MB is bad. I tested the CPU for 5min at 100% no failure so really doubt it could be the CPU.

idata
Community Manager

RMA my motherboard Same issue. More searching on google looks like DX79si BIOS suck and DX79si has issues with intel i73960x I will probably just return my RMA'd dx79si and get a new motherboard. Any help would be loved. I am just trying random BIOS updates hoping one works.

idata
Community Manager

Fixed with intel bio update 0460!!

idata
Community Manager

Actually the issue returned!!! so annoying!!! if I cannot figure out a way to fix it I am returning this board.

idata
Community Manager

another update as it seems I am the only one who has these problems. seems like the dx79si bios are GARBAGE. I clocked down my ram from the rated 1600mhz to 1333mhz which actually stopped the crashing all together. Then I updated the bios again thinking that with my stability problem solved I could possible get my usb 3.0 working. FAIL updated the bios and the crashing returns. really disappointing bios on a 270 dollar board and mind you this is my second one(First was RMA'd).

jdean
Beginner

I am wondering if you ever got your problem fixed. I am having some serious issues with my DX79si as well. It just freezes at random any time it wants to and I have to do a hard reboot. It shows no error codes in the indicator so I don't even really know where to start. I am running Corsair ram 16 Gbs, liquid cooling, and an nvidia 690 card so needless to say after spending this much money on a custom build, I want the thing to work. Anything you have done that works would be nice.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Macnmopar,

First of all, I recommend you to do a clean installation of the Operating System and the latest drivers available.

Also make sure you are running the latest BIOS version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23015&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%0...

If the problem persisted, what we can try to do is to perform basic troubleshooting in order to narrow down the issue.

You can start doing the following:

- Test the system out of the chassis, minimal configuration please. (Motherboard, processor, power supply and video card) It should give you 3 beeps.

- Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery# datetime http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery# datetime

-Include 1 memory stick on DIMM # 1 and restart the system.

- begin to include additional devices one at the time, such as hard drives, optical drives, additional PCI products etc.

-restart the system every time you add any peripheral, in order to find out what is causing the freezing on this motherboard.

If the behavior continues and if the motherboard is still under warranty please get in touch with our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace the unit: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Regards.