Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DX79SI , can not install windows with RAID enabled, only AHCI

I have a new Intel DX79SI motherboard and i have a single SSD drive and 2 x 1T drives.If i set the bios to AHCI, i can install windows fine on ONLY the 4 black 3G SATA port, i can not install windows using the blue 6G portsIf i set the bios to RAID , i get the error:Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the computers hardware may not support booting from this diskI have tried with both the SSD drive and the mechanical and i get the same errorI can not find any options in the BIOS to allow the RAID to be bootable..Once windows was installed i then tried going into the bios and setting to RAID, but the system can not find the boot device.This seems to be a possible bug in enabling raid on this motherboard....
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

You need to install an F6 RAID driver when installing Windows.

idata
Community Manager

i have loaded the driver from the package

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise Driver x64

tried both the

Intel C600 Series ChipSet SATA AHCI Controller

Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller

with the same result, the drive shows sup in the installer fine for the windows setup but i cant do anything after that

Now i get the error:

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one

I have installed hundreds of computers and recently several x79 boards and this is the most difficulty i have ever had it seems.

Note: I am doing this with Windows 8, i am not testing with Windows 7

idata
Community Manager

Same results using windows 7.

So i basically can not install an OS on this board apparently.

i reset the bios to defaults and no drive i connect can i install windows on in AHCI or RAID

These are the drivers i am downloading

14 result(s) matching:

"DX79SI" + Windows 7 (64-bit)* + Drivers sorted by relevance

File name:

RSTe_Win7_8_64_3.5.1.1009_F6-Drivers.zip

Version:

Date:

11/06/2012

Latest

Size:

0.65 MB

Language:

English

Operating Systems:

Windows 7 (64-bit)*, Windows 8, 64-bit*
idata
Community Manager

So this is interesting, i reset the bios again, and it is allowing me to install windows on an SSD connected to the 6G blue port.

However once it reboots, it tells me it can not find the OS.

idata
Community Manager

Well, tell me this isn't the weirdest fix.

i connected a 2nd SSD drive into the black port on the motherboard so now i have 2 identical drives, Samsung 840 250G drives connected

This let me install windows 8 with RAID enabled in the bios

JMcKa
New Contributor I

You discovered that bug, eh? Basically I found that Windows 7 would refuse to install unless all "boot from" options were disabled and the HDD or SSD was at the top of the list. I then changed Boot from USB to enabled, and booted from a USB with Windows 7 setup on it and proceeded as normal. Be sure to disable that Boot from USB option on first reboot during setup or it will complain about no OS or something. I wish they would hurry up with Secure Boot and possibly Visual Bios on their flagship desktop board!

RPiro
Beginner

Friend worked with me have a raid 0 with 4 HD, and the only way that worked was using a version of windows 7 x64 - build 7600 and driver link:http://www.4shared.com/rar/uTJ0Ycd1/c600x64.html c600x64 - Download - 4shared

ZAgha
New Contributor II

@jezz

I don't think we are going to see any of those "Visual BIOS, PCIE Gen 3.0, etc...", until we see the third Gen of i7 CPUs that run on the x79 "Ivy Bridge E".

sorry for going off post

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

@Ziad,

We have no date or other information to provide regarding the release of a Visual BIOS for this chipset. However, if any new information becomes available, it will be share immediately.

Regards.