Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DX79SR Board not detecting EVGA GTX 680 Classified GPU on first ever boot!

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm having trouble getting the Motherboard to recognize the GPU on its first ever boot. According to the box the MOBO is NVIDIA SLI ready, I cannot get to see BIOS due to motherboard not detecting GPU. I get the 2 beeps pause 2 beeps from the MOBO which means the GPU is not detected according to the sheet that comes with the MOBO. I have re-seated the GPU several times on the primary slot and have tried all other PCI express slots also. GPU's normal operation green light is on, GPU's fan is on. I do not have another GPU to rule out PCI express slot being damaged. Are there any known motherboard compatibility issues with this GPU? I read in one google search that some of the new graphic cards have a new UEFI-compatible VBIOS (GOP) and that this motherboard has a older version and does not detect it, is this true? What can I do? please help, thanks

Motherboard - Intel - DX79SR

GPU - 1x EVGA GTX 680 Classified

CPU - Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)

Memory - 4x8GB G Skillz Ripjaws Z Series

PSU - Corsair AX860i 860W

Operating System - None-yet, trying to install Windows 8 64-BIT

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

thanks, to all of you for the replies, after much trial and error turns out the culprit was the PSU. Amazingly one of the modular plugs had a dead terminal and was not giving power thru the cord, I tried another one of them and boom, GPU read. Seems like GPU was receiving only half the power it needed to fully be operative. With one plug it did turn on and fan blew but it was not functional until the second plug gave the rest of the power. Rediculous lol Thanks all who replied, never even thought of trying another terminal until i started trying to do stupid random things. Now to send back this damn PSU lol

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DGood6
Novice

Hi,

Unplug the PC, wait for all the board lights to go off and then trying clearing the CMOS (remove the battery). Now plug the PC back in and power up.

If that doesn't work then Unplug the PC, wait for all the board lights to go off and move the bios configuration jumper from 1-2 (normal) to 2-3 (configure), plug the PC back in and then power on. It might go through 2-3 boot attempts before you can access the bios if it's going to work at all.

If you do get into the bios then would shy away from "goofie" UEFI and use legacy mode.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the response!

I went home to try this out this morning but still bios did not detect the GPU. Do I leave the battery out the whole time? Do I not put it back in?. I tried both ways, with the battery in and the battery out and I let all the lights turn off and I moved the jumper, i tried every configuration from the reply you gave me but still still no cigar. Seems like the only way to go is to buy another gpu and see if its the PCI express slot/Motherboard that's damaged. Its sad to see a "extreme" board not be compatible with great GPU hardware

DGood6
Novice

Hi,

Try a different video card.

Contact Intel Support and see what they suggest.

DGood6
Novice

Hi,

Perhaps this NVIDIA posted article will be helpful. http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1NjgwMDAwNi9zaWQvZjl6Mnha... When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I think this is probably a RAM problem.

Please try removing all but 4gb of RAM (or in the case of your configuration) just keep 1 8gb RAM installed (preferably on one DIMM 1 slot) and try starting the device up.

If you get a successful boot sequence; complete your installation of the OS and make sure everything is working properly.

If all is successful; you can begin to add additional RAM and check. Please remember that it is recommended by Intel to fill the BLUE color RAM slots first (DIMMs 1,3,5, & 7).

Do let me know please.

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Ask EVGA support about Video BIOS with PCI Express Gen3 (3.0 bus version) disabled. Early stepping's of Core i7 CPUs had erratic PCIE-3.0 support, and new EVGA BIOSes tend to initialize Gen3 first.

DGood6
Novice

I would get a different video card since users are reporting 680 issues on different forums.

ZAgha
New Contributor II

Dear Dave,

I have a very similar system to yours & I'm using a Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC on my Intel DX79SI & it's working flawlessly.

The Kepler cards aka Nvidia 600 series are compatible.

The DX79SI & DX79SR are practically the same boards.

If I were you I would start my troubleshooting with the video card, then move to the MOBO, then the PSU, all the way down.

PLS keep us updated

idata
Community Manager

thanks, to all of you for the replies, after much trial and error turns out the culprit was the PSU. Amazingly one of the modular plugs had a dead terminal and was not giving power thru the cord, I tried another one of them and boom, GPU read. Seems like GPU was receiving only half the power it needed to fully be operative. With one plug it did turn on and fan blew but it was not functional until the second plug gave the rest of the power. Rediculous lol Thanks all who replied, never even thought of trying another terminal until i started trying to do stupid random things. Now to send back this damn PSU lol

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

My Evga 680 GTX is working fine on Windows 8 on a Z77 board, and in PCIe 3.0 mode.

For those video boards, you had to request a firmware update to get the UEFI version, I assume you did not do that? Not suggesting you should, since I have not, just wanted to see. If the settings I mention below are configured a certain way, it may stop any installs.

I would suggest updating the Bios if you have not yet done so.

If you are trying to install Windows 8 with that card, you might need to check bios settings for something related to the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and the Secure Boot option and see if it has a Legacy setting for OpRoms. If I use the card with Windows 8, I cannot set up secure boot. I have seen things implying the UEFI bios on your board is not up to standards. Do you happen to know which version of UEFI it is using?