Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DX79SR and USB 3.0 Firmware Updates

I'm sure like most of you, your USB 3.0 ports are not working under Windows 8. When I saw the firmware updates dated 5/9/2013, I thought finally. Well after installing the update I can say they still don't work. I install both updates, front and rear. The front update processes fine...and those ports may work, but I don't have them hooked up. The rear update throws the message Device not found!

Any help to get this working under Windows 8, would be much appreciated.

Regards...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
66 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin, my apologies for the late reply.

1. What When booting with a device connected to the system, are the ports recognized? If so, is it with USB 2.0 or 3.0?

All the USB 2.0 ports work fine. The front USB 3.0 ports work also.

2. What is the brand/ model of the external device you are using?

Mainly SanDisk Cruzers various sizes, 4GB to 32GB.

3. Have you tested different cables for that device?

No cables for thumb drives are needed.

4. Can I have the board revision (AA number only) please?

AAG57199-200

5. Did you test the system outside of the chassis in a non-conducted surface?

No. Do you really think that is a problem when all USB ports work except for the back ports?

5. Have you tested a different Rear USB connection?

I've tested both ports in the back, neither work.

Are you testing a board that is working? Is there any update/lead from dev that would point to the issue? Are they testing with a board that is working? If you or they have a working board, could we exchange?

Regards...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin, any update on this?

-------

Are you testing a board that is working? Is there any update/lead from dev that would point to the issue? Are they testing with a board that is working? If you or they have a working board, could we exchange?

--------

Regards...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi judochoke,

I am sorry but at this point I have not received response from the development team. I know it is under investigation and they are working on it but no response yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin, how about getting the dev team to answer the questions I posted? We have provided information and still nothing. This case was opened six months ago. Is there someone else I can call?

Regards...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Kevin, any update? It's been several weeks with nothing. Can this be escalated? Can I call someone?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi all,

I am sorry for the delay on coming back to you with updates. Our engineering department has been testing several systems with many USB devices but so far they have not been able to replicate the issue.

I recommend you using the system with the keyboard and mouse only testing them in each port. I understand your frustration but will be necessary to test this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@kevin_intel did your colleagues at engineering department boot their test system in BIOS or EFI mode? I never booted in BIOS, but only in EFI mode. BIOS is the default. Maybe this is why they couldn't reproduce the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I apologize for the delay on coming back to you. I understand your frustration and I thank for your patience.

This issue is being investigated and no information is available yet. I will keep you posted.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Sorry for the delay on coming back.

Have you tried removing any additional PCI-Express cards (like RAID controllers, Sound Blaster card etc.) from the system and then apply firmware update for USB 3.0 again?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22775&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%0...

Please be sure you run CMD line with Administrator rights when running the firmware update for USB 3.0 and executing both (front and rear) firmware updates finish with no errors. Next I recommend going into motherboard bios (F2 at startup) and load bios default settings, save and reboot the motherboard then enter to verify if everything is working correctly.

I assume for Windows 8 there is no driver package for USB 3.0, so please be sure you download and install all necessary updates from Microsoft (using Windows Update).

Please be sure you have installed Intel chipset inf. Drivers : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20462&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20462&lang=eng

And management engine drivers :

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22090&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22090&lang=eng

(After that OS reboot may be necessary).

I am using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and after USB 3.0 firmware update with BIOS 0559 I have no problems with USB 3.0 ports (front and rear) so far.

I also made a test on Windows 8, I simply put a new HDD, install Win 8 x64 Pro, install all drivers from Intel + Nvidia SVGA driver, then I apply all Windows update fixes and do a test on rear USB 3.0 ports – it worked great.

There were no problems, even when I reboot OS for few times, power it off and then on (with power cord unplugging) and adding additional PCI-Express card (first SB Recon3D then RAID controller card).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Those of us with dx79si boards waited a year for a solution and got squat from intel. After 2 weeks of testing and scouring these boards I determined all my USB30 problems and hibernate/resume problems were due to the lousy usb3.0 chip and drivers Intel uses. Renesas for me.....worthless garbage.

Go on Amazon for $31 and get an Inateck pcie add in card with 5 rear ports and a plug for the front ones. For $31 dollars that I know (rant on) YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SPEND AFTER SPENDING HUNDREDS ON A MOTHERBOARD (rant off) and 10 minutes time all your troubles will be solved. My machine boots faster, hibernates and resumes and my USB3.0 portable drives stay connected always.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I've been reading through the conversation as I also have the same issue. Are there any updates, and is there a way to fix it. I don't have time at the momment to list all my system right now but I will asap.

Kind Regards

Simeon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Sorry Simeon but at this point I do not have updates from development. I am constantly checking but nothing yet. I will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am still pending on this one. I have not received updates but I am checking with development.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Sorry for the delay guys. We are working on this. I will be back soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

This issue has been escalated to the appropriate product support engineer for further investigation. Due to the nature of this escalation, we do not expect an immediate resolution. We apologize for this inconvenience and encourage the community to keep sharing any findings and comments that may lead to a workaround.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

What time frame can one expect on solution and if I need to exchange my board how would I go about this?

Kind Regards

Simeon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

I am sorry. I am going to check again with development and I will be back soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Guys, we wonder if any of you will be willing to send the system to our Center so we can check it for investigation purposes.

We would really appreciate the feedback. In case one is willing to do so, let me know here and Then I will send a Private Message.

Thanks

Kevin M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

I live in Ireland and not sure how practical or safe it would be to ship my entire system to you. Maybe there is a way that I am unaware off. I would like to problem solved so Im open to ideas.

Simeon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Thank you but It is kind of complicated for you to send the unit from there.

Are there users affected with this issue that are located in The United States or can send the motherboard from a USA location? If so, please send me a private message.

Kevin M

0 Kudos