Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CTowl
New Contributor I

DX79SR - can I use PCI Slot 6 (closest to CPU) for a RAID controller? Or is it reserved for video only?

PCI_Hi all.

The title mostly says it. Can I use PCI Slot # 6 (closest to CPU) for a RAID controller? Or is it reserved for video use only? My PCI-3 video card takes up 2 slots which covers the adjoining slot and I would like to use the PCI-2 slot # 5 (second from CPU) for a sound card. I do not need the PCI connector at slot # 3. If I place my LSI RAID PCI-3 controller in slot # 6 and my video card in # 4, I have access to the 5 slots I need. Top to bottom: Raid controller, sound, video, video capture, and USB-3 expander.

Thanks. Cal

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZAgha
New Contributor II

Sure you can.

I have the same board & in the manual it says to use the slot in question for optimal video performance. However, I have tried to move my video card & it worked in all three slots.

If optimal video gaming &/or rendering is not your goal then you can.

For performance reasons, keep an eye as to what PCI Gen. the video card will run on that specified PCI slot.

CTowl
New Contributor I

Ziad:

Thanks. That is what I hoped. I am building a workstation for photo editing and video is not a bottle neck. I do a limited amount of surface rendering and 3D work with AutoCAD but theae are drawings that I am flipping around not motions as in games. SLR image image editing is my main use.

Cal