Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DX79TO won't start with Samsung 950 Pro connected to PCI-E X16 using SilverStone PCI-E X4 to M.2 adapter

Config:

DX79TO

i7 3930k

GTX 1080 in primary PCI-E x16 (motherboard shows as Slot 6)

That works on its own.

When I insert Samsung 950 Pro with an adapter into second PCI-E x16 slot, BIOS fails to initialize:

- displays just a blinking cursor

- motherboard display shows number 64 (or b4)

- 3rd (of 6) leds (which I guess is video init) is blinking, rest are constantly lit

What I've tried so far (had to perform with SSD disconnected to access Setup):

- update to the latest BIOS (from 2014)

- enable/disable video fastboot

- in BIOS config for video change Auto to Manual and select the slot where the graphics card is actually installed (I hoped it would help MB to go past video init)

Neither had any effect

I've read on the Internet people had some success with this MB and PCI-E SSDs. Am I doing something wrong?

I only have an even older PC which I will try tomorrow just in case with that SSD.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Victor Milovanov,

To connect an mSATA SSD to an Intel® Desktop Board that does NOT natively support mSATA, you must use a third-party mSATA-to-SATA converter/adapter.

The mSATA SSD drive plugs into the adapter. Then connect the adapter to an available SATA port using a standard SATA cable.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Victor,

First of all, the DX79TO board is old enough that its BIOS has absolutely no support for NVMe drives. If you were to get it to work (but I am not saying you will), it will be in the Windows environment only; you would never be able to boot from it.

To my knowledge, the people who have been successful have done so with special PCIe cards that,

1. Provide a BIOS extension that adds support for accessing and booting from the drive(s) connected to it.
  2. Include a SATA IC that supports the operation of attached (M.1) mSATA SSD(s) or M.2 SATA SSD(s).

I have not seen a card that (successfully) supported an M.2 NVMe SSD in these older boards.

BTW, there is no POST code 0x64. The BIOS does not use any code in the 0x60 - 0x6F range (because the '6' and 'b' are too similar and caused confusion). Thus, what you saw was likely POST code 0xb4. Unfortunately, according to my cheat sheet, there is no specific operation/event assigned to POST code 0xb4. But, this value *is* in the range of POST codes (0xb0-0xb7) that are reserved for operations/events associated with fixed media (SSD, HDD or SSHD) boot device initialization and configuration. Logically speaking, this is where I would have expected it to fail with a NVMe drive in the picture (which was probably confusing it something fierce)...

Hope this helps - and sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'm just hoping somebody had already faced this, and was more thorough than I am.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

N. Scott Pearson is right, this motherboard most likely does not support M.2 NVMe SSD; you can wait to see if somebody else on this community who had a good experience with this can share the information with you.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos