Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DZ68BC - CPU fan header control for non-PWM fans?

Hello all -

Just got the new DZ68BC motherboard, and recently upgraded my CPU fan/heatsink setup. I was planning on using a 120mm non-PWM fan, but it looks like the processor header is unable to control the speed of non-PWM fans whereas all the other fan headers (ones in red - rear, front, and aux) are able to control the fan speed with ease. My prior PWM fan was well controlled on the processor fan header. So my temporary solution was to use the rear fan header for my CPU fans so that I could dial the fan down to my desired level.

Is the processor fan header intentionally designed with voltage control omitted - so that the fan speed can only be controlled by PWM? Or do I have a defective board?

Would love to hear what other owners think also - especially those with recent boards in the Extreme series.

Thanks much in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: DZ68BC - CPU fan header control for non-PWM fans?

Should add - I am trying to control the fan speed by adjusting the minimum and max fan speed % in the BIOS, not by a 3rd party app through the OS. When a non-PWM fan is connected to the CPU fan header, it is always at 100% speed regardless of what % minimum and maximum speed I enter for the header.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I think I have the exact same problem, tryed all the software if could find, both Intels own and SpeedFan, none of them are able to control the fan, even tho they appear to be.

Trying setting the max duty in the bios but nothing happens, can't find any info in the manuals on this any where!

I think I will switch to one of the aux fan headers (Red ones) aswell, but its kinda annoying!

Regards Martin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I think its normal when you use a 3 pin fan,

i cant control the CPU fan on my Intel DZ68BC + Intel DP67BG + MSI Z68MA-ED55 + Asus Rampage Extreme III

every time a use a 7V converter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Only 4-wire PWM-controlled fans can be controlled via the CPU fan header. There is no voltage scaling circuit for this header; if you plug in a 3-wire fan, it will always run at full speed.

0 Kudos