Did you mean: 
JDopo
Beginner

DZ68BC GPU Upgrade

I ​have a DZ68BC with i5 2500k 3.3

12gb Ram

500 w power supply

Windows 7 pro 64bit

I am trying to install a new GPU and I get power and fans spinning but cannot get video signal out of it

Ive tried installing a gtx660, ​r9 270, and a brand new Radeon rx560. What needs to be done to get one of these cards working. I need some expertise please!!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Alas, if only it was so simple. Since Intel shutdown the Desktop Boards group, there have been no BIOS engineers to diagnose what is going wrong during power on with these cards. This isn't an issue specific to this particular board; it is seen with practically all of the 6 Series and some of the 7 Series boards from Intel and even some from other vendors. There are a couple of theories as to why the compatibility issues arise. One theory is that the cards are not as backwards compatible (PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 2.0) as they should be. I have found, however, that some of Intel's 5 Series boards have fewer compatibility issues, despite the even older chipset. These boards had the Intel Tiano BIOS in them whereas all of the later boards had an AMI BIOS. Other theory have to do with the format and contents of the OpROM on these cards. Some modern cards provided only UEFI drivers in their OpROM and it appears that the BIOS in some of these boards require Legacy drivers to be present to work. Enabling UEFI in the BIOS seems to help in some cases. Of course, this could mean re-partitioning and reformatting the system drive and reinstalling Windows if the previous installation was Legacy.

I have a BC board on the shelf and it has an MSI N750Ti-1GD5/OC (i.e. 1MB GeForce GTX 750Ti) in it. I also have an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5670 card that works in it too. Sorry I have no data on anything newer; I am not a big league gamer so high performance graphics were never an issue for me. Perhaps some other folks can indicate what other cards worked for them...

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Oops, I neglected to say that, if a card works, it works. If a card doesn't work, however, there is no amount of finagling that is going to get it working. The UEFI trick is the only one that I have ever come across.

...S