Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ68BC loses data drives

Hello

I have 3 drives- main and two data drives-

After a day or two when a wake the computer up- one of the data drives go missing- not even showing up in Disk Management.

The always comes back after I reboot-

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
25 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Often, when problems are seen immediately after waking the system from a low power state (S3/S4), it is because of issues in the BIOS or (related) drivers that prevent the hardware from being completely restored to the state it was in previously. Thus, it is important that you ensure you have the latest BIOS and the latest driver packages installed. In this case, I am referring to the Chipset (INF Update) package and, if you are using Intel Rapid Storage, its driver package as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the reply N. Scott

The bios version I am running is this: BCZ6810H.86A.0035.2012.0409.1812

I have trouble in the past getting past this version as I recall.

Chip set is this:Intel Z68 (Cougar Point) [B3]

Could you explain a little further the Chipset INF package? I update that as well.

Also Not sure how to upgrade rapid storage- All I seen on this web site is the Raid Mavell driver- so I could use a little help here as well.

Thanks

n_scott_pearson

You can download the latest BIOS for BC from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23524/BIOS-Update-BCZ6810H-86A-?product=56461 Download BIOS Update [BCZ6810H.86A]. I suggest that you install it using the Recovery Method (documented here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Recovery BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Desktop Boards).

The Chipset package (latest release for BC available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21926/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desk... Download Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards with 6 Series Chipset) does not actually contain any drivers. The drivers necessary are a part of the standard Windows release (or are downloaded from Windows Update if newer versions are available). Instead, this package provides Windows Setup Information (INF) Files that will configure the standard Windows drivers to optimally support your chipset hardware. This is why us old f@rts call it the INF Update package.

Intel Rapid Storage is the package that you use to enable the use of RAID or Disk Caching for drives attached to the standard chipset SATA ports (i.e. NOT for secondary interfaces like that provided by Marvell). If you do not have RAID enabled in the BIOS or you have not enabled RAID or Disk Caching, then you do not need to worry about this driver package. If you do have RAID or Disk Caching enabled, however, you should install the latest available package. I note that there is not one showing up in the downloads list for BC. I suggest you go onto the Download Center site and search for "Intel Rapid Storage" to find the releases available...

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello Libirm ,

At this point, I suggest you to follow Scott Pearson recommendation and I will appreciate if you could report back how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Scott

Will Begin process this weekend as time allows and will keep all informed.

Thanks again

PB

idata
Community Manager

Hello All-

Updated Chip Set- no problem- rebooted- waited a day to see results- problem still exists

Tried a couple of differant updates for IRStorage and got the shown erroe message each time-

So please advise concerning the above-

I noted that I am running the suggested Bios update-

Maybe I am missing something-

Thanks Scott

idata
Community Manager

Here is the Link I tried for IRT-

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

idata
Community Manager

What Device Manager is reporting

idata
Community Manager

Check "services"-

I don't see IRS at all...

n_scott_pearson

Unless you remember going through the RAID setup process, you likely don't need to worry about the RST package. The important thing is to have the latest BIOS installed and running properly. Do the following:

1. On Reboot, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Write down the BIOS version string that is reported.
  3. Still there on the main BIOS Setup page, scroll down to and select "Additional System Information".
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the display.
  5. Write down the version string displayed for the Management Engine.
  6. Respond with the recorded information.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello Scott

Here is the information you requested:

Bios Version: BCZ6810H.86A.0035.2012.0409.1812

Intel Management Engine Firmware: 7.1.30.1142

I appreciate you help

idata
Community Manager

BIOS version you have is 0035, I would suggest you to update to the latest BIOS version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23524/BIOS-Update-BCZ6810H-86A-?product=56461 0042, if you don't have a raid volume you basically don't need to have the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology installed.

Regards,

Ivan

n_scott_pearson

Install BIOS 35 using the Recovery Method. This is documented here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello All

OK will do so at next opportunity-

I assume the "jumper" method is preferred?

Thanks and will keep you posted

n_scott_pearson

Oops, I meant to say install BIOS 42 using Recovery Method.

...S

idata
Community Manager

I hope that can help you to solve your issue Libirm 

Ivan.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Scott & Ivan

I will installing the update as soon as I can dedicate some time to make sure I can follow the directions uninterrupted.

I heard some horror stories about rushing to update it.

Can't afford to make any mistakes- I will post as soon as I have results.

Thanks for the help- I hope it solves the problem as well.

Paul B

idata
Community Manager

Take your time!

idata
Community Manager

Good Afternoon Scott & Ivan

Well mission accomplished- updated Bios to BCZ6810H.86A.0042.2013.0902.1038

All went well and booted to windows.

Now I have to check in a day or to to see if drives stay alive.

Will keep you posted-

Again- Thanks for the help!!!

idata
Community Manager

You are very welcome!