Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ68DB - Unable to install windows 7 64-bit from flash drive

Just building up a new PC with the Intel DZ68DB mobo (Intel i5-3750, 8 GB DDR3, 120 GB SSD (Sandisk)).

On all sorts of previous machines, I have been able to 'boot' from a USB flash disk (4 GB) and the installation went flawlessly (IE: an old DP35DP, a DG33FB, etc. LOTS of Intel systems have been loaded with this same flash disk - which , by the way, gets 'cleaned' and an entirely new set of installation files written to it before any/all installations).

But during this initial installation on this new mobo, Windows 7(64-bit) stops nearly immediately and poses a question that a 'needed driver is missing'.. Thinking it might be the AHCI drivers, I 'steered' it to another flash that contained all the drivers from the CD - carefully 'walking' the installer thru ALL the multitudinous folders - only to have the installer tell me "no additional drivers found". So I thought, OK, maybe it's looking for the USB 3 drivers (even tho the USB drive is not plugged into any of the USB 3 ports) - but no-go there as well. The sole reason for booting the install from the flash drive was to (hopefully) decrease the installation time - but of course, by now I've wasted more than 3X the 'normal' time as compared to simply installing from DVD - which is now installing flawlessly as I type this.

So I gotta ask... what in the hades is stopping the install from the flash drive? I JUST installed Win7 64-bit from this same flash disk on another PC (also an Intel mobo - a DG41TY with a Q9650) and it just sprinted to a full install in something under 20 minutes. So anyone have any idea why this won't work on this DZ68DB? I am boggled... been using Intel mobos for damned near "eons" (well... that may be a slight exaggeration - but sometimes it feels like that amount of time) and I've installed Win 7 64-bit WAY TOO MANY times in the past and have never encountered or seen this particular error...

Clues from any one?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Try http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way.

Extract RST driver to USB stick and load it during installation. (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22272&ProdId=3334&lang=eng&OSVersion=... STOR_Win7_8_11.7.0.1013_f6flpy-x64).

Try in both UEFI and Legacy Mode.

Windows 7 does not have USB 3 drivers.

idata
Community Manager

Here we also use the USB method to install Windows* 7 and we don't get any problems. We do use the tool provided by Microsoft* and it works fine.

Regards.

idata
Community Manager

Yeah... me too. Microsoft tools are my 'default' method,,, but I THINK I may have 'figured it out'... (or maybe not..). It would seem that the previous installation on the DG41 mobo must have somehow affected the installation files on the flash drive ... (Why? I don't know..) but having again 'cleaned' the drive and re-written the files to the flash, it installed on a second DZ68DB mobo without problem... So even though I don't know for certain, I'll accept that this was the case...

"Live and learn" even now after 18 years of this stuff...