Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DZ77BH-55K Bios update 0097; CPU HOT

After updating my DZ77BH-55K from Bios 0057 to 0097, I have a no post situation. The CPU_HOT light on the board is RED and the computer just BEEPS. This update worked on 1 other computer but has failed on 2 others I have tried.

CPU: i7-3770

RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (4x8GB)

I would like a real solution since I have 13 of these boards and am getting random bluescreens, I believe due to an issue fixed in BIOS 0096 "-Fixed issue where memory voltage is too low." I need to not RMA all the boards when this update fails.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

BIOS update bricked:

Board Mfg# 16 AUG 12

Batch# CNBQ28G004

BIOS update worked:

Board Mfg# 01 JUN 12

Batch# CNBQ26100A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

POST CODE 32

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

You have 17 of these boards !

This will be an important thread to follow for DZ77BH-55K board owners.

I also have the DZ77BH-55K, but only had three of them and luckily they all had a successful flash.

I bought them all on the same day - I'm pleased they sent me the same lot.

Manufacture date: April 2012

Batch: CNBQ24Q018

Original bios was 0057

I paired them with the i7-3770K

I specifically used the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm?wapkw=bios+recovery Recovery BIOS update method via USB to flash bios using a 'working' USB port.

Only used (2x4 GB) Corsair 1600 RAM, but specifically had no other PCI slots populated on purpose just to avoid any potential conflicts of/or whatever's during the flash.

(fwiw, seeing you mention your cpu is hot, one thing I always closely examine the boards CPU Processor Socket pin array with a magnifier, because in the past, and even last week on one of the current boards right out of the box, I noticed 2 of the1600+ thin arched pin arrays were clearly bent/skewed enough even touching adjacent pins and would of Surly caused electrical problems if I had seated the CPU on them! ..I delicately moved them back into the proper alignment with a sharp hardwood toothpick, absolutely using 3x magnifier glasses to do it, and then moved on with the build seating the CPU)

I know that Intel recommends updating the bios in stages if it's the original 0057 bios, and not going straight to the latest which is (as of today) 0097. I assume they must of seen more instances of success using that method.

I did it straight from 57 to 97 and got lucky, but perhaps I should have been more conservative.

Anyway Jesse I very much wish you success on all your DZ77BH-55K boards and hope the techs jump in and help you out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

download the original 0057 bios and use the F7\Recovery method to install. Then update in steps:0057 -> 0085 -> 0097

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Jesse, the information on the past posts is correct. The POST code 32 is part of the BIOS recovery sequence meaning that the motherboard is looking to flash the BIOS.

Try using the recovery method to the same version that you where trying to flash (0097) and then put the BIOS jumper on its original position to check if the motherboard is able to boot.

Amy custo0mers are having problems as they are jumping from a really old BIOS version to the newest ones, we always recommend to update the BIOS in steps, Shaun did make a really good recommendation of going first to BIOS version 0085 and then to 0097. Try this with one of the motherboards to see if it will brick it.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

@lemurian: CPU is not really hot, bios update broke something where the m/b thinks the CPU is hot.

@Shaun: Unable to use recovery, m/b does not post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Victor,

With the CPU_HOT LED lit up and the constant beep and no video, I am pretty sure the bios is no post, and unable to go through the recovery mode. I have since RMA'd the bricked m/b so I do not have any to test with. The current 13 PCs with this board are scheduled to be deployed this weekend, so I do not have any window for testing/RMA-ing. We are very unhappy about the situation that INTEL has put us in, by selling a board which the BIOS doesn't control the RAM properly; and the BIOS update to fix this will brick the m/b. We bought these to deploy them soon, not in a few months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Jesse,

Does that mean that the current 13 boards to be deployed this weekend, does this mean that those 13 boards had a successful flash then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

No, it means that I don't have time to RMA them. I'm stuck with what I have with my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Jesse,

I'm not exactly clear now what is it that's wrong with the 13 other boards you are deploying this weekend?

Is the same thing wrong with each of the 13? ...and what exactly is it?

please, thank you; it would be helpful information.

...I'm rooting for success of the deployment...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I've had a couple blue screens on reboot after installing software. I see the in 0097 there is a fix for the "Memory voltage is too low". So that could be a fix. These are going to engineers who will be stressing them more than I am doing myself, so I am concerned over the success of the deployment.

Maybe nothing goes wrong, but I usually see performance increases with new BIOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

How are you making out Jesse with the deployment...

just an fyi, not that I see anything that pertains to your problem, but just an fyi there was a Bios Update released for our board:

PRODUCTS: DZ77BH-55K (Standard BIOS)

BIOS Version 0098 - BHZ7710H.86A.0098.2013.0206.1447

About This Release:

• Date: February 6, 2013

• ME Firmware: ME8_1.5M_8.1.20.1336

• Integrated Graphics Option ROM: 2143

• SATA RAID Option ROM: v11.6.0.1702

• LAN Option ROM: v1403 PXE 2.1 Build 090

New Fixes/Features:

• Updated processor support.

• Fixed issue where drive icon for Marvell* controller is missing in Windows*.

• Fixed issue where after enabling "Force Secure Boot defaults" three keys disappear and Secure Boot Mode is still "Custom".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have the same problem, no memory problem, i tested the position and others models, the code 32 appear with I7 but a surprise, with I5 the code change to 15, no beeps, but no video. Tried recovery jump and button "back to Bios" on the back pannel.

The memory and i7 tested in other MB and ok.

I made a video to show this problem, maybe any detail can be help us to try other mode to start the MB.

http://youtu.be/R3N8SrAqBV0 Intel dz77bh-55k After Bios Updated - Alert! - YouTube

So, if you are visiting this post, NOT APPLY ANY BIOS TO YOUR MB. I not understand till now, but if the bios is to this MB, not error or accident with energy occur, the max is no improvement. If i understand what happen, the MB not equal and i think which need a text with the AA serial range what can use the some Bios versions.

I had others intel MB and i loved durability, in all the bios update change to better product, only this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I bought Mobo yesterday. PC wasn't booting coretly and it was freezing during POST. I decided to upgrade BIOS to lastest possible version as many times before. I'm not sure what was the original BIOS version, but I prepared USB stick with BH0098.BIO. Now I have death computer with error 32 and the beeping exactly as Italo Valerio. His video match my coputer.

I also loved Intel mobos - durability, quality and didn't care about lower performance in a past... But that is total fail !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I want to add more details:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: Different DDR3 memory from Kingston but without success...

Memory LED - Flashing

Error code: 32

Reason why I did BIOS update:

BIOS Version 0098 = Updated processor support.

BIOS Version 0097 = Fixed issue with secondary USB 3.0 controller.

USB3 is one of reasons why I bought new PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Has anyone tried Bios Update 0099 that just came out?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No I haven't yet, I just noticed they have 0099 because of our post to this thread.

I'm still on 0097 without any noticed problems yet.

I do love this board.

I've been adding more software installs right along and so at this point would be traumatic if I lost anything because of a bios update gone awry - you could say I'm chicken ..although I want to do it, but perhaps I will wait till MORE pertinent things have been updated in the release notes.

How is your situation working out Jessie since your original post?

BIOS Version 0099 - BHZ7710H.86A.0099.2013.0311.1142

• Date: March 11, 2013

New Fixes/Features:

• Implemented global PK key.

• Fixed issue where sensor threshold's proposed value is mismatched with active value in BIOS after changes are made in Intel® Desktop Utilities.

BIOS Version 0098 - BHZ7710H.86A.0098.2013.0206.1447

• Date: February 6, 2013

New Fixes/Features:

• Fixed issue where after enabling "Force Secure Boot defaults" three keys disappear and Secure Boot Mode is still "Custom".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I'm wondering what does this mean: "Implemented global PK key" ?

~~~~~~~~~~~

It looks like two times in a row now they worked on this Marvell controller issue.

I've not noticed a problem with it yet though, but maybe it's just in certain situations it acts up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm more interested in seeing someone go from a 0057 or so to the 0099. I suspect that I could go to a revision in the 0070's or 0080's without any problems, just something about the 0090's. Currently everything is working ok. The computers that had ATI FireGL's were having problems, so we had to replace those with NVidia cards. Otherwise this seem ok, but I'm constantly wondering how much performance I am loosing from the poor bios code.

0 Kudos