Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ77BH-55K Boots Windows Instead of Linux

Hey guys, I have a DZ77BH-55k mobo, with the latest 0085 Bios using UEFI boot.

I had Windows 7 Installed in UEFI mode and it worked fine, however I recently unplugged that hard drive and used another drive to install Linux on. When I plugged the Windows 7 drive back in, the computer keeps booting from that drive instead of the other drive with Linux. If I hit F10 and select the Linux drive, it boots fine, however I have to do that every reboot\boot. In Bios\UEFI I set the Linux drive to Primary, but still same issue it'll boot Windows 7 UEFI first.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello,

Make sure the hard drive has been properly formatted and use the same mode in the BIOS when setting hard drives (Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), IDE or RAID).

If the issue persists proceed with a clean installation of the Operating System using the latest drivers from our website.

idata
Community Manager

I ended up formating that drive and it booted off the other drive without issue.

idata
Community Manager

Do you want the machine to dual boot, or always boot to Linux while a good Windows partition is also connected to the storage controller?

idata
Community Manager

I wanted to have windows and linux (separate hard drives), however I formatted the windows drive and use it as storage now.

idata
Community Manager

When dual booting Windows and Linux there's a few basic steps to follow

1. install Windows first
  2. install Linux second
  3. configure LiLo or Grub during first boot of linux

This should provide a boot menu that will preempt Windows and you can choose which OS to load. If both Linux and Windows will be installed on the same drive, you need to adjust the BCD - assuming Vista or later OS.