Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSton9
Beginner

DZ77BH-55K code 51 "Allocation of Resources to PCI" with adding new Video Card.

Hello.

I just replaced a working PCIe x16 card with a new Sapphire R9 380 4GB x16 Video Card into the x16 slot at can't get past a BIOS code 51.

Sterilized everything and re-installed 3x in both x16 slots. Repeat BIOS stoppage at code 51 everytime.

Plenty clean. Plenty of power. Everything physical looks perfect. Can't see any wrong choices in the BIOS vF2.

Reinstalled old 1GB video card >> boots perfectly.

Any ideas what may be causing the board to throw a 51 code with installation of a new video card?

Thanks for access to your expertise.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Quite simply, you are using a video card that has expectations that the board and BIOS can't support. Are you running the latest available BIOS for this board? If not, install it before trying anything else (you will need to use old graphics card for this). Once you are booting on the latest BIOS, if the problem still persists, try enabling UEFI.

...S

JSton9
Beginner

Thank you N.Scott. Beautiful answer.

Interestingly, the MBoard won't accept a BIOS update. The picture below happens using the Express update for exactly this board, and whether I try a first update or the latest update, same result. Now is this becoming a bad board component issue?

JSton9
Beginner

Trying the new Card under UEFI froze at code 51 again all the same.

n_scott_pearson

This update failure may be happening because you are making too large a jump (BIOS 57 all the way to BIOS 100), Try doing this in a couple of jumps. Try BIOS 70, then 85 and then 100.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

That's right if you have an older version and you try to update the bios to the latest version the BIOS update can fail, also I would recommend using the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000006039.html?wa... F7 method to do the BIOS update.

Regards,

Ivan

JSton9
Beginner

Thank you Ivan and N. Scott.

I did start with the very first update and tried a middle update and latest update with no difference under the Express method.

I will say the process worked perfectly in that while it refused to update, it let me keep my original BIOS version and rebooted with no problem. So that worked.

I'll now try the F7 method with the first update and see what happens.

I'll report back soon.

n_scott_pearson

It may require that you install this sequence of BIOS releases using the Recovery process...

JSton9
Beginner

Ewwww. I'll keep that in mind. Now for tomorrow night, New Year's Eve, it'll be either that or go see the new Star Wars. Hmmmm.