Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DZ77BH-55K doesnt post with two sata drives

Hi, I have a DZ77BH-55K motherboard, it works fine with 1 harddisk connected to the 6gb sata. However once I connect a second sata drive (be it to the 6gb or other sata), the bios doesnt finish its post any longer and messages something along the lines of: BIOS has detected unsuccessful attempt at finishing POST. The harddrive works fine on other computers. Even weirder, the same drive has actually worked before on this board, as a second drive for a while but I think that I didnt have my board's drivers installed yet at the time.

I'm honestly at the end of wits to solve this puzzle. Am I not supposed to have the provided drives installed?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: DZ77BH-55K doesnt post with two sata drives

Hello Lasercat,

It could be an issue related to the Boot order selected on the BIOS. So please go to the "BOOT" tab and check under the "Boot Driver order", if the hard drive with the Operating System is the first one on the list.

Please let me know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

When I boot with my 1 OS hdd it shows it on top, when I boot with the 2 drives, I cannot get into the BIOS.

Ty for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Are you able to see something on the screen? Any error code?

Which power supply are you using?

Is there fan activity?

Are the hard drives spinning?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

With the two harddrives attached it just hangs on the intel splash screen, I can see the F2, F7 etc, but I can not press them.

Its from Silenzio, 600W.

Fans and harddrives are working.

Ty

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ty, are you using the latest BIOS version? Please let me know which is the current BIOS version?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I was using the second-latest version, since the problem occurred I have (previous to this discussion) both used the jumper to enter the bios and restore it to defaults and I have succesfully updated it to the latest version. This has made no difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ty,

These are some other recommendations for this issue:

Let me know the results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

"Its from Silenzio, 600W."

Sounds like probably ~250W Chinese time bomb.

Lots of such such cheap high watt weird brand PSUs are best used as paper weights... and they might be too light for even that. (because of lack of/wimpy components)

And try drive in different port and with different cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have connected the second drive to another computer and deleted its partitions (I had previously just formatted it already) and formatted into 1 new partition. When I put it back in, it did post and I could redivide it into partitions as I wished to without any further incident.

Ty sylvia for your time invested in this issue. I still do not understand why this board wouldnt allow it, but I'm satisfied.

... and to any who which to know, silenzio models are from Taiwan, like most of the stuff in any of our computers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sounds like there might have been some kind error in MBRs of that drive or something which somehow caused conflict with other drive.

Lasercat wrote:

silenzio models are from Taiwan, like most of the stuff in any of our computers.

You mean like in movie Armageddon: "Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

Actually most PC parts have never been done in Taiwan. I doubt even in component level TSMC is doing enough for that with lots of semiconductor manufacturing everywhere.

And while Beijing and Taipei have whole shipload of political disagreements many Taiwanese makers have production factories in China. Like for example one of the oldest PC PSU makers, Seasonic. And those of Linkworld Electronics which is apparently the maker of that Silenzio. (whose site has specification clearly only for cheap old design PSUs) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Lasercat, I'm glad to know your system is now able to boot with 2 drives.

Regards.

0 Kudos