Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ77BH-55k Marvell SATA problem.

I had a hard drive connected to a Marvell gray SATA connector. Whenever I put a very large file on it, the file was always corrupted.

Acronis True Image makes 9 GB files when I backup an entire partition. If I have Acronis put it on the Marvell drive, it is always corrupted. If I put it on an Intel blue sata connected drive, the file is okay.

Furthermore, if I copy a good backup file on an Intel connected drive to the Marvell connected drive with Windows Explorer, the copy is corrupt.

I got around the problem by putting both hard drives on Intel Sata (blue) connectors, but I'm not happy.

I have the Marvell 1.2.0.1019 driver installed. I have the 0070 BIOS installed. I don't use RAID.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Steve17,

I understand that you are experiencing problems with the Intel(R) Desktop Board DZ77BH-55K when using the Marvel* controller ports and coping a larger file.

I have heard of this behavior on the past at it got fixed when testing a different hard drive ( brand ) it may be some sort of compatibility problem with the controller and the hard drive that you are using.

Regards.

PV

idata
Community Manager

Sorry VIctor, I didn't see your post. Unfortunately I only have Western Digital drives. I tested with 3 different models of WD drives. They all have the corruption problem.

Sometimes during the copy, Windows loses the entire drive. It doesn't even show up in Disk Management.

I still have the 0070 BIOS.

Steve

idata
Community Manager

Steve, check with WD support. There is a timing issue with the firmware on some models of their consumer drives (Caviar series) that mostly effects disks in RAID configurations, but what you are seeing could be related.

We had a similar issue with one of our senior officer's workstation. Didn't happen very often, but when it did life got miserable for everyone. After several go-arounds with Caviar (Black) series drives we put a couple of RE4s into that machine and the problem stopped. Followup with WD indicated that was the correct COA; the rep told us that the Caviar drives weren't certified for RAID operation which we all thought was a bunch of BS at the time, but who knows?

idata
Community Manager

Thanks rbmorse. I don't know if that is the problem. One drive is a caviar black, another is a scorpio black (2.5 inch) and the third is an RE4.

It is curious that nobody else reported this on this forum. I have enough SATA ports anyway, but it's dangerous having ports on the board that seem to work, but sometimes screw up.

Steve

idata
Community Manager

I have the same problem and .94 bios. I have and m4 256 and a 2 tb seagate drive on the marvel. And the constantly disparate. It is getting very annoying. I have switched to a Samsung drive and a western digital, same results. always on the stupid marvel controller.

idata
Community Manager

Sam problem here. I use the board with unRAID (a Linux OS) and the 1 drive connected to the gray port keeps on getting errors. I originally had 2 drives connected to the gray ports and they both got errors, but then moved one drive to a black port. I'm out of SATA ports and have to use the gray port for one drive unfortunately. It's a Seaget 2TB drive. So it seems that the Marvell controller has a problem.

Anyone found a fix yet?

ln31
New Contributor I

Looks like they have an 0098 update for it concerning Marvell, but I have not tried it yet

BIOS Version 0098 - BHZ7710H.86A.0098.2013.0206.1447

About This Release:

• Date: February 6, 2013

• ME Firmware: ME8_1.5M_8.1.20.1336

• Integrated Graphics Option ROM: 2143

• SATA RAID Option ROM: v11.6.0.1702

• LAN Option ROM: v1403 PXE 2.1 Build 090

New Fixes/Features:

• Updated processor support.

• Fixed issue where drive icon for Marvell* controller is missing in Windows*.

• Fixed issue where after enabling "Force Secure Boot defaults" three keys disappear and Secure Boot Mode is still "Custom".

idata
Community Manager

Indeed thanks. I updated the BIOS to 0098 and have done quite a few tests that would have failed in the past so this seemed to have addressed the issues I had with the Marvell controller.

ln31
New Contributor I

That is good news so far jd, and we All hope it's fixed !

Please keep us posted for sure...

idata
Community Manager

I now have BIOS version 0099. The data corruption problem with Marvell connected SATA drives seems to be fixed.

I may see another problem but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Sometimes when the computer wakes from sleep, the drive is no longer seen by the computer.

idata
Community Manager

I have BIOS version 0099. I can now confirm the Marvell connected SATA drives are lost after the computer wakes from sleep.

I have run several tests. In Control Panel >> Power Options >> advanced power options, I set the "turn off hard disk after 4 minutes". I set the Sleep after to 8 minutes. So I only have to wait 10 minutes for sleep to occur. After awakening, a drive connected to a Marvell SATA port will not be seen by the computer. If I plug that same drive into a different port, there is no problem. The drive will be still there.

idata
Community Manager

Correction. The Marvell SATA ports are now working okay. I needed to install the Marvell driver. I had assumed it wasn't needed because I don't use RAID and the name of the driver entry is: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3441&DwnldID=21026&ProductFamily=Desk... RAID: Marvell* SATA Driver.

Go figure. I think they ought to take the "RAID" out of the name or at least make it clear that it is required for all uses of the Marvell ports, with or without RAID.

idata
Community Manager

Wrong again. The RAID driver seemed to work. It woke up from sleep twice and all was well. But the third time I got a blue screen. It didn't record a memory dump, no doubt because the drive was out to lunch.

I think I was better off without this driver. I will not use the Marvell ports again unless someone comes up with a real fix.

ln31
New Contributor I

Yes, darn it, this problem with the Marvel ports on this Intel DZ77BH MB, and large file corruption, is still very problematic, especially noticeable when using Acronis True Image (any version) to create or restore backup tibs = 70% of the time on a 2TB+ GPT drive it will fail because of file corruption . I've spent a HUNDRED hours dealing with this problem, and it all turns out it's all to do with the Marvel (gray) ports on this board using the latest updates.

Switch the drive over to the blue or black Intel ports, no more problems.

There is no fix for this yet after 4 years since it was reported?

I can't believe this has not ever been fixed yet after all these years, or if it has since the last post from Steve - what is the fix?

I can't trust my large file data to this Marvel port for another second!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, there is no fix - nor will there be. First of all, this board is well beyond its end-of-life date. Secondly, Intel exited the Desktop Boards business a couple of years ago. There simply is no support team looking into issues with these boards any longer.

ln31
New Contributor I

Yes I do realize that, and wasn't necessarily expecting an answer (hey but you never know)

...but also just posted as an outlet to express but especially a fwiw to any others out there who are having this issue but yet have not figured it out that connecting to the Marvel ports is the culprit.

Especially important going forward since in timely fashion many are moving up switching their backup HD's to 3TB or greater mandating using GPT - it is here the problem really shows up; fwiw does not show up with a less than 2TB HD formatted MBR...

The only resolve is to not use the Marvel gray ports, and just stick with the intel blue or black

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

So, what versions of the Marvell driver have you tried? Intel has a policy that they will not post any driver release that they have not fully validated on the board in question. Thus, it is possible that there are releases of the driver that are newer than the one most-recently posted by Intel; they just haven't been tested by Intel (for this board). Since Intel has exited the desktop boards business and is no longer validating driver releases, there is a much higher likelihood of there being more recent driver releases available. They could be posted on the Intel site, just not for this board, or they could be posted elsewhere. I suggest that you check out some of the sites that independently provide driver releases, as well as that for Marvell themselves. You are looking for a driver for the 88SE9172 SATA Controller.

Hope this helps,

...S

ln31
New Contributor I

Hi Scott,

I totally understand what you are saying and implying, I've done that very same thing with many a software fix; however, in this case it's actually beyond a driver issue with this, proven out by not only by various posts logic in this thread, but now by me as well. It's not just in Windows, but booting Linux and even WinPE's booters that the problem is there irregardless of driverage, that's why I say it's not drivers, or just one faulty MB either, it's all of them since all 5 towers on our network are affected, and those that have posted here and elsewhere and so iow, it's the whole DZ77BH-55k (Marvel) run.

I was serious when I said have spent 100 hours tracing this down, and I will not spend another moment since the hassle of copying/restoring TB images is too time consuming just to prove this out, and at this point the resolve is just easier which is to simply not use the darn gray Marvel SATA ports on my 3 or 5 TB backup HD's, period.

Intel made changes with the issue in different versions of the bios I see, and even addressed it in the release notes, and the adjustments seemed to changed things around for some as I read though the posts, but it did not completely solve the issue. For me I noticed it 6 months ago specifically when I changed over to 3TB and/or 5TB GPT backup drives, and in backing up all the computers on our network here over time only to find out 4 months later, LoL, NOT! ...that most of the backups were not resotrable because of the file corruption, phew; I only said LoL because I slid by on that one not needing having to emergency restore any full images.

No more time for this, for me the case is closed, and these boards 2 Marvel 6Gb/s ports are history, since it's very easy to use the other 2 Intel 6Gb/s with not too much hardship only occasional inconvenience of having to use the two 3Gb/s ones - we just connected the DVD drives to that, but... ...will still miss the two extra 6Gb/s ports for occassional quick connect fast HD transfers.

I'm just glad to put a face to the problem