Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DZ77GA-70K @ 0049 - Won't boot with anything connected to Marvell.

I have two Samsung SSDs in RAID 0 and three Seagates in RAID 5, all on the first controller. Windows 7 flew through install with minimum hardware, but now I have a problem that looks like my second RMA on this board.

Connecting ANY device to either of the Marvell controller's two ports causes the system to fail to boot with the following message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I have tried, in turn, each of an Iomega REV 70 SATA drive, Seagate ST380815AS, and an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S. Each works when plugged into the sixth SATA port - the only one of the six that is free, but results in the boot message when attached to either Marvell port.

Devices plugged into the SATA300 TX4 card and the Marvell ports are recognised early on in the boot process. The devices attached to the SATA300 are not seen by Windows - when it does boot.

Update # 1:

While looking online for another SATA RAID card to replace my older Promise SATA 300 TX4, I found a review of a totally different adapter card where the reviewer mentioned his card would not work if the on-board RAID controller was enabled.

I removed the SATA 300, and presto, the Marvell ports are working as they should.

Shouldn't the BIOS resolve this conflict before loading the OS?

Update # 2:

Intel released BIOS 0053 about mid-September. The StarTech PEXSAT34, (4-port PCIe x4 SATA adapter) now works without issue. This is great, as this card accepts non-disk peripherals, which the Promise SATA 300 TX4 did not.

Message was edited by: Stephen Spratley

Message was edited by: Stephen Spratley

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello springbok,

I understand that you are inquiring about the compatibility problem with a RAID controller card and the fact that you cant use a SATA device on the Marvel* controller and boot from it.

In regards to your inquire, Intel(R) usually does not validate the usage of RAID controller cards on the Intel(R) Desktop Boards, a BIOS update may help in the proper recognition of the cards and that may help.

Regards.

PV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Victor_Intel,

The TX4 is not a RAID card - just a simple SATA card.

0049 is the latest BIOS for the DZ77GA-70K.

It appears that the BIOS is not resolving a probable IRQ conflict between my Promise SATA 300 TX4 PCI card and the Marvell controller. Both devices are seen by the BIOS (latest download, by the way), but if the TX4 is installed and the Marvell controller is enabled with anything plugged into its ports, Windows fails to load and I get the following message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

The TX4 card worked without any problem on my DP55KG and I would like to be able to use it with the DZ77GA-70K, also.

Also, the StarTech PEXSAT34 SATA PCIe x4 non-RAID card gives the exact same results if a drive is plugged into the card at boot time. If I the drive is not plugged in, the system boots. Plugging in the drive after Windows has loaded, works with no problems.

Thanks,

Stephen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Victor_Intel,

I have similar problem without any add on raid cards, but Intel controller is set to Raid mode.

Connecting anything to Marvell will mess up boot drive order in bios and board doesn't boot.

Same happens with USB3 external HD connected.

I can use external USB3 HD if I connect it after the system is up and disconnect before the next boot.

But I don't think the e-sata port is hot-plugable, I haven't tried.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The BIOS allows (requires) that hot-plug capability to be enabled/disabled on an individual port basis. Also, hot-plug is only supported with the controller in AHCI or RAID mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Unfortunately on this board the hot-plug capability can be enabled only on six sata ports connected to Intel controller.

There is no such option for Marvell sata ports and the back panel e-sata port is connected to Marvell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ah yes, I see that now. Thank you.

On my 70K, with the Marvell controller in AHCI mode, hot plug works fine with an external drive dock connected to the rear panel e-sata connector.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The board won't boot from intel raid with any addon RAID controller installed either. horrible motherboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Agree, this motherboard has so many issues it should have never been released like that.

Looks like Intel has put most resources to make the Bios look pretty and not into functionality.

I don't care about visual Bios, have no problem using text based interface, just make it work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Spoke to a tech, they said they probably won't fix it because it is a very low priority issue to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

My DZ77GA doesn't seem to recognize the marvell controller from Windows 7.

I can see the drive in UEFI and with Linux but have no luck seeing the drive from Windows if it is connected to the Grey 6 gb's sata connectors.

Is there some kind of update for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The latest BIOS, 0053, fixed a myriad of issues. It's only been available for about a week, so I'm guessing you've not installed it yet.

That should be your first step.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Did you load the Marvell driver in Windows?

0 Kudos