Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DZ77GA-70K + BIOS version 0045 - issues

I decided to create this new topic as it might be considered more general. I recently bought DZ77GA-70K and unfortunately I haven't checked what BIOS version had been on. I also made some BIOS version changes and I noticed several strange behaviors as none of the current versions seem to be completely OK / bug free. I will also create a new support ticket w/ intel however it's nonsense to do that during the weekend.

Just for the record, these are my current components used in my pc:

• DZ77GA-70K
  • Intel Core i7-3770 (this is not the K version because of VT-x support needed)
  • Corsair Vengeance Black Low Profile 16 GB (2x8GB) - part. no [X0] CML16GX3M2A1600C10
  • Intel SSD 520 - 120GB
  • GIGABYTE GTX 560 Ultra Durable OC 1GB

BIOS 0045

I tried to update to the latest version of BIOS. When I did that, I experienced these issues:

• There were all devices connected to SATA ports visible, however under the list in main BIOS page was a message that there is no SATA device detected / available or something like that
  • I was unable to boot to any of my connected devices using either EFI or UEFI, ACPI or IDE mode. I haven't really tried RAID option but I don't believe that was the case
  • BIOS does not show current temperatures and voltages

Troubleshooting: I tried several options, combinations of config settings, tried to reset BIOS to default 3 times including updating the BIOS 0045 again, nothing worked for me. Of course I tried to manually select BOOT device, nothing worked.

Not sure why, but when I use this BIOS version, I cannot boot to any device so from that point this BIOS is useless for me. After an hour or so I gave up and downgraded the BIOS to 0039 - described bellow.

BIOS 0039

When I have this BIOS on, I can make it working, however w/ only few options.

• EFI boot does not work (similar behavior to the BIOS 0045) - have absolutely no idea why
  • UEFI option is the only one that I am able to boot with to any of my connected devices
  • PC runs Windows 7 64bit, all drivers available on intel support page are installed, however I can see these devices not installed and/or with issues: Microsoft PS/2 Mouse (Hadrware ID: ACPI\PNP0F03), PCI Simple Communication Controller (Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E3B&SUBSYS_20378086&REV_04) - please note I disabled the PS/2 port in BIOS and it's still there anyway
  • I am unable to install Intel Desktop Utilities v. 3.2.2.046. After the installator starts and performs initial check, it ends up w/ error message that this software can be installed only with Intel mainboards. In /message/159778# 159778 this post dislikeyou mentioned that it is related to UEFI mode and OS installed w/o UEFI support. I am not sure how to install Win7 w/ UEFI support at this point. I will try to find it out.
  • BIOS does not show temperatures or voltages (similar to 0045)

I was tired and haven't really tried any older versions. Is there anyone w/ some other or similar BIOS issues and this particular mainboard? Any help or at least a tip would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

When you bought the board it probably had 0035 like mine.

UEFI boot is broken in 0039 so you must have 0045 if you want to install UEFI version of Windows.

To install Windows 7 in UEFI mode, you have to make the USB stick using

http://www.joshcellsoftwares.com/2011/10/winusb-maker-windows-setup-to-usb.html WinUSB Maker and then http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045 Installing Windows 7 in native EFI mode from USB - bit-tech.net Forums

make sure that it will be FAT32 when it finishes.

Looks like your motherboard is broken. You should call Intel by phone and explain them your issues. I guess a RMA is needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I don't believe it's really broken, it just seems like some strange behaviour w/ some specific components. Not sure about that of course. However for example the temp monitoring works normally in windows using any free/paid software. So I guess it's something BIOS related.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Bios 0045 solved almost all of my issues.

Have 2 issues only that i know of.

• Chassis power led is blinking all the time. Solved temporary by shutting down PC and unplugging power cord. When i power on PC again it will be ON constantly and not blink, until i reboot the PC or shut it down and powering on but without unplugging power cord.
  • Bios 0045 solved USB 3 front problem. My chassis front panel USB 3 is now working but i still get power surge warnings. The devices connected to the port works fine except the warnings.

Anyone managed to solve these issues? I also reported this to Intel and got a ticket number.

Highlighted
Community Manager

45 bios seemed to install correctly but left a mess 11 icons of files on the desktop, newbie question, can I erase those icons without screwing up the newly installed bios?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Seems you updated from Windows. Yes, delete them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I would like to know how to get rid of the flashing power button - it is REALLY annoying. Remvong power is not an option for me because I broke off the CMOS battery holder trying to remove the battery! Every time I remove the power, I would have to reset some items in BIOS.

I do have another board on order, but still do not want to look at the flashing power button. The 0045 BIOS seemed to fix most things for me, including the USB power surge error on the USB3 headers and disabling all USB3 ports when I added on a front panel USB3 card reader.

The new system I just built is working very well right now, EXCEPT for the flashing power.

They got almost everything right this time around, why the flashing power button? It seems Intel doesn't want us to be happy with this board

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

There is not way to solve it permanently as it seems. Wait for a new bios again. But you say that you don't get any power surge warnings anymore? Maybe my chassis USB 3 port is acting weird and causing it to show warnings

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I was trying to use a SilverStone USB3 card reader in the front of the case. With BIOS 0039, when this device was plugged into the USB3 header, ALL of the USB3 ports were disabled - the drivers for USB3 did not even load. If I would unplug the cable and plug it back in, I would get the USB power surge message.

After update to BIOS 0045, with the device plugged in the device would be recognized and all of my USB3 ports were working fine. However, the card reader still did not work correctly, so I purchased a USB3 PCI Express card with an internal 20 pin connector and connected the card reader to that. I didn't use the card reader with the motherboard header.

However, my case has 2 USB3 ports on top, and this is plugged into the motherboard, and these are working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

To stop the freaking blinking irritating power led, disable general optimization under boot options, or what ever its called... It speeds up booting by disabling network, usb, optical boot.

Booting is obviously slower, but its better then that eye stabbing blinking!

Wondering when will they fix this...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

THANK YOU! I knew there were times when the light blinked, and others when it didn't - I just could not figure out why.

No more annoying blinking light!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I simply covered the LED with a darker tranparent small plastic cover that just fit's over the light, I found it at a hobby shop..I like knowing it's in sleep mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

For anyone following this thread, I was eventually able to get 0045 to load over 0039 after chatting with an Intel rep. Previously, using the Windows or F7 USB Stick method, the update to 0045 would always hang on updating the Management Engine block. She had me try using the recovery jumper with a USB stick - that worked with no problem.

Message was edited by: Ken&# 13; &# 13; Edit: I should point out I used a USB 2 port on the back of the mobo - not a USB 3 port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It did not work for me. I disabled it but after i shut down pc / turn on again, it was blinking again. I will have to try some more times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Wow I'm relieved that I'm not the only one with the annoying power surges, it's a very annoying problem I couldn't find any solutions and it seems that neither did Intel. Well I guess now we can only wait for updates?

I have a DZ77GA-70K with latest (0045) bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Trying to update from 0045 to 0049 exhibited the same problem. Failure when attempting to load the Management Engine firmware. Fortunately, using the yellow recovery jumper with 0049 on a USB stick worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I had to load BIOS Defaults first, then was able to go from 0039 to 0049 without erroring out.

Sitting through the startup sound and LAN search is a pain after setting defaults, but temporary.

Give the update some time...it took a few minutes and I thought it was hung, but it worked.

Did I mention the stupid startup sound played repeatedly the entire 3-5 minutes while it updated the BIOS? I wasn't about to pull the plug on it during a BIOS update... but annoying. Just about when I was ready to turn off the speakers, it finished.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Next FW release, I will try resetting to default. That's an option inside the BIOS, right?

According to the release notes, 0049 was supposed to only address FAN related things, but Windows loaded some new drivers after I started up with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes...somewhere in the BIOS setup is wording like "reset to default". Being old school, I changed my BIOS back to the Classic view with text, so look around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, Windows loaded PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge driver.

I updated fine to 0049 but i have issues. Fast boot is not working. It causes the PC to hang at POST. Anyone else with this issue?

I noticed power led is not blinking anymore but that is maybe because i have turned off fast boot options?

Still getting power surge warnings on front panel USB 3 port.

To load bios defaults: (i found this image on the forums and added arrow, not taken by me)

0 Kudos