cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ77GA-70K. Does it matter which pci express slot i use

Hi all

I have problems with my graphics card, Geforce 660ti, in the primary PCI express slot after I install its driver. It works fine in the secondary slot. Does it matter which pci express slot i use? Is the performance the same? In the manual it says this: Secondary PCI Express x 16 (x8 Electrically). Does x8 electrically matter?

Best regards, Christian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

it'll run at x8 speed, instead of x16 speed.

I'm curious what issues were you having with the video card? Did you have another video card in that first slot before? If you did have one in the first slot before, did it work fine?

I Suggest: completely uninstall all nvidia software\drivers.

-Put the card in Slot 1

-run windows update, to get the windows\microsoft drivers

-restart

-download the nvidia drivers from the nvidia website and install those

idata
Community Manager

Hi Shaun

Thank you for the reply.

The issue shows when the 660ti card sit in the primary pci express slot and the Nvidia driver is installed. about 5 secs after the windows logon screen appears the screen starts goings black and the picture returns now and then. I mean the screen is kind of blinking...going black frequently, then the picture returns and so on. There is no problem with windows own driver.

There has never been another graphic card installed in the PC.

I will try what you suggest.

idata
Community Manager

I have done exactly what you suggested with no positive result.

I have updated BIOS and motherboard drivers.

I tried with my old AMD HD5770 vidoe card in slot one, installed latest driver. It workes just fine in PCI Express slot 1.

It seems that the only issue is with pci e slot 1 and the Nvidia 660ti video card with Nvidias driver. These 2 things do not work together.

What do you suggest you do and what do you think is wrong?

Do I get less performance from pci e slot 2?

idata
Community Manager

could it by some kind of BIOS setting i have to change?