Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

DZ77GAL-70K not working with 1600mhz Ram

I setup my pc with a new DZ77GAL-70K and 32 GB 1600MHZ ram, when i go into the bios and change it from 1333mhz which is the default to 1600mhz, the pc doesn't boot. I have to go back and select the default (1333 mhz ) settings so it boots again. Please help.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ZAgha
New Contributor II

The question is how are you changing the settings?

What are your RAMS? Model?

Best way to change to 1600Mhz is to use the XMP, provided that your RAMS support that option "which they probably will".

idata
Community Manager

Hi, i'm using the Komputerbay 32GB 1600MHZ that i purchased from amazon.

idata
Community Manager

In the BIOS, relax the memory timings to 10-10-10-28 (instead of the 9-9-9-24 as suggested in the XMP profile) and try to boot at 1600MHz.

idata
Community Manager

I tried this, still no luck.

ZAgha
New Contributor II

Go to Bios load setup defaults then save & exit

restart

Go into BIOS again & navigate to the part where you can load your XMP profile for your RAMS

Bear in mind that you will not notice that much of a performance hit when you change from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz

That being said, it should work; performance hit or not.

keep us updated

idata
Community Manager

Im having the same issue. I load the xmp profile in the bios and it says 1600mhz. Once I'm in Windows and I run cpuz or even my Intel Monitoring software it shows 1333mhz. I have tried doing manual overclock, but the system doesn't boot and I have to use back to BIOS to get it up again.

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233299 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 Corsair memory.. 1.5v 1600 xmp1.3 memory.

Thanks,

Jimmy

idata
Community Manager

I'm having this same sort of issue, specifically the issue James Maltese has.

Motherboard: DZ77GA-70K.

Memory: Corsair. DDR3. 4GB x 2 . http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-blue-8gb-dual-channe... CML8GX3M2A1600C9B . I use "the 9-9-9-24 as suggested in the XMP profile"

Like James, I load the xmp memory profile in the BIOS and it shows 1600 Mhz. Once in windows the memory speed is reported as 1333 Mhz, both in the Intel Desktop Tool and in windows task manager.

At the risk of introducing a separate issue: I also sporadically get a 3 beep code (which designates a memory fault) and a failure to boot. I can rectify this by turning the power supply switch off then on. I can then boot as normal. This issue seems to arise regardless of whether I have set the memory speed at 1333 Mhz (auto memory profile) or 1600 Mhz (xmp memory profile). James (Jimmy), or anyone else, do you experience this?

I have run memtest86+ and the memory completes a pass with no errors.

Edit 1: BIOS Version 0059: GAZ7711H.86A.0059.2012.1106.1053. There is a newer BIOS version out, 0060, but nothing in the release notes to indicate these issues have been addressed.

Edit 2: When I get the 3 beep code I also get a Status Code of "20": "Resuming from [S2] State"

idata
Community Manager

Can you guys download CPU-Z and confirm that when you set the memory's XMP profile in the BIOS that CPU-Z reports a DRAM frequency of approx 800Mhz(x2 = 1600Mhz) under the memory tab.

I say this because my memory is running at 1600Mhz, but all Intel tools report 1333MHz.

idata
Community Manager

Intel Desktop tools only shows the default speed MHZ of ram. If you load the XMP profile in bios and the bios states that the ram is running at 1600Mhz then it is.

idata
Community Manager

Yes manuel..my cpu-z is showing 798mhz DRAM frequency and intel utilities are showing my memory speed at 1333mhz...

the only thing I could think of is that because the memory is set to 1.5v for this particular Mobo, that the utilities calculating that versus 1.65volts which the older core i series processors used.

idata
Community Manager

Well that means everything is fine James. You are running the memory at 1600Mhz.

Like Lance pointed out above your posts, the speed reported by Intel in it's tools, is the default speed of the ram (so 1333MHz).

idata
Community Manager

So then this memory really isn't 1600mhz ? its only 1333mhz?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233299 Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB &# 40;2 x 8GB&# 41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9

idata
Community Manager

John.. i am not getting the 3 beep codes randomly, like you are..but your other symptoms are the same as mine. I only get the 3 beeps, when I manually overclock the memory.. I then have to use the Back to Bios button to reset the bios and set it back to defaults.

ZAgha
New Contributor II

The RAMS are 1600MHZ

However, Martin has loaded his board up to the max with the RAMS that this board can support "32GB of RAM". Hence, he loaded the memory controller to the MAX. So any kind of over clocking will result that the controller can't take.

Dear Martin,

Please try to use only the blue DIMMS 'which means that you will be using only 16GB or RAM" then activate the XMP thingy properly & it will work.

Man I don't know why you need 32GB of RAM. Unless, you are using RAM disk they are useless.

idata
Community Manager

I got 32gb ram, because the price difference was minimal, and the board, said it supported it. So basically, if I want 1600mhz, i should just stick with 16GB, I do load games and several windows of RAM, but I doubt it comes close tot he RAM i have loaded. I wonder if anyone else has had this issue with the 32GB ram. The brand I bought was the least expensive Komputerbay, not Corsair .

idata
Community Manager

manuelh, thanks for the CPU-Z tip. Similarly to James I can report a DRAM Frequency of 798.3 MHz in CPU-Z. I now (thanks to you manuelh) see to interpret this as 800 Mhz x 2 = 1600 Mhz.

Presumably, then, the Intel Desktop Tool and Windows Task manager are just reporting the SDP (default) settings rather than (what I have come to appreciate as) the memory overclocked settings.

So I feel that Corsair has ripped us off a little bit here. Given that "1600" is in the memory serial number I would expect this to be the default speed. At least James and I have learnt to look carefully at the SPD speed in the future, when selected our memory sticks. And, of course, it is not too big of a deal given that the performance difference is not going to be large and we can overclock it to 1600.

James, thanks for reporting back on the absence of the 3 beep codes (except under manual [non XMP profile presumably] settings).

For this problem of mine I have attempted a clearing of the CMOS, following the procedure at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm# noboot Desktop Boards - Troubleshooting BIOS issues , "Clear the CMOS". After this procedure, oddly, the date and time had to be set but my other manual settings where preserved (fan temperatures, RAID settings, et al). So it felt like the CMOS was only partially cleared. However, when booting up after an overnight power off (when the 3 beeps usually come back) everything was OK. A good sign even if not yet conclusive. 

idata
Community Manager

What processor are you using in this board? 1600mhz is an overclock for sandybridge chips. You should look at the rest of the timings to see the voltages your ram is trying to use, and see about setting your timings and voltage manually, since i doubt XMP will have a profile to use for that valuebrand ram.