cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DZall
Beginner

DZ86BC Start up issues.

Jump to solution

I have had a DZ86BC for years without any issues, from Win 7 Pro 64 to now Win 10. Over the last few months, whenever I start the computer (either from an off state or a restart) it hangs at the boot screen (where you pressF2 to enter setup) for 15-20 minutes. I am unable to hit F2 or F7 during this hang. Getting very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

I have two of them. They are the slowest boards I've seen with respect to the time it takes to go from power-off to login screen, even with an SSD, but I've never seen 15-20 minute delays. I have two suggestions.

First, unplug the Ethernet cable and remove / disconnect everything, and I mean everything, except for the bare essentials. Remove all add-on cards and disconnect all drives. If you have a CPU with on-chip graphics, remove the video card and use the on-chip graphics. If the problem disappears, add each part back one at a time to identify the defective one.

Second, move to a different BIOS as a test, but do remember that moving beyond 0028 is permanent (and not recommended by me). For example, if your board has a BIOS of 0028, move to 0027. If your board has a BIOS of 0042, move to 0039. My theory here is that something in BIOS was over-written and this will refresh it. After you fix the problem, return to your original BIOS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

I have two of them. They are the slowest boards I've seen with respect to the time it takes to go from power-off to login screen, even with an SSD, but I've never seen 15-20 minute delays. I have two suggestions.

First, unplug the Ethernet cable and remove / disconnect everything, and I mean everything, except for the bare essentials. Remove all add-on cards and disconnect all drives. If you have a CPU with on-chip graphics, remove the video card and use the on-chip graphics. If the problem disappears, add each part back one at a time to identify the defective one.

Second, move to a different BIOS as a test, but do remember that moving beyond 0028 is permanent (and not recommended by me). For example, if your board has a BIOS of 0028, move to 0027. If your board has a BIOS of 0042, move to 0039. My theory here is that something in BIOS was over-written and this will refresh it. After you fix the problem, return to your original BIOS.

View solution in original post

DZall
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions. My case came with a Bluetooth adapter (that I have never used). After disconnecting that, the computer started normally.