Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JStee12
Beginner

DZ87KLT-75K 4770K No post issues 00 E6 on the motherboard display Iv tried restoring to earlier bios system powers on and sys does a boot hang FOREVER ITS A BIG RGB MESS

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Is this truly POST code E6 or is it Eb? It is easy to mistake the 'b' for a '6'. A 'b' looks like this:

POST Code B.jpg

POST Code E6 indicates a hang occurred while connecting a driver. POST Code Eb indicates that a hang occurred while executing a Legacy Option ROM. Since Option ROMs typically provide drivers to support associated add-in hardware or other capabilities, it is possible that either of these POST Codes could be seen if there is a compatibility issue with some piece of add-in hardware.

Seeing POST Code E6 can also be an indication that some particular portion of the processor or board (typically chipset) is failing initialization. This could be caused by bad RAM modules as well.

The typical compatibility issues being seen these days are related to the addition of a modern graphics card. For this, I have two suggestions,

1. If you have added a graphics card to your system, I suggest that you remove this card and verify the operation of the board and processor using the graphics engine built into the processor.
  2. If you have not done so, I suggest that you enable UEFI. Obviously, you will need to make this BIOS Configuration change while you have this graphics card removed.

Hope this helps,

...S

JStee12
Beginner

Thank you Scott for the reply and the help, I appreciate it very much. I have tried everything that I can to recover from this and I cant figure it out this board has cause me a considerable amount of problems and its been a learning experience. This is my first build and haven't worked on any desktops since well 15 years or so . The UEFI Bios is very new and Im lost on the whole thing. In layman’s term please can you tell how to enable the UEFI. Iv treid restoring the bios Iv treis updating the bios Ive tried pressing f2 well all of the keys and nothing I treis leaving it on Iv treid back to bios I cant get past the darn Eb…. HELP please Sent from Windows Mail
n_scott_pearson

First of all, if, by "The UEFI Bios...", you are referring to the graphical BIOS Setup capability, please do not confuse this with UEFI; they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. You could have a legacy BIOS that has a graphical BIOS Setup capability. Similarly, you could have a UEFI BIOS implementation that has a text-based BIOS Setup capability. That graphical BIOS Setup capabilities appeared on the scene at roughly the same time as UEFI is mostly coincidental. 

Sorry for going off on a tangent here, but this is a major pet peeve of mine. This confusion was created by the marketing slime that worked for one of the motherboard manufacturers. They tried to assert that they were the first to ship a UEFI BIOS because they were the first to ship a graphical BIOS setup capability. In fact, neither of these claims was actually true. Intel had been shipping UEFI-compliant (Tiano Core) BIOSs for a number of years before this manufacturer ever did. Secondly, AMI had shipped a rudimentary graphical BIOS Setup capability in their BIOS core before this manufacturer shipped anything. Unfortunately, because of the sophistication of the Graphical BIOS Setup capability that they shipped (I have to give the scum that), the uneducated have fallen for these claims - and the confusion has reigned ever since.

Ok, off my soapbox.

Enabling UEFI support will, at least temporarily, require you to run without your graphics card installed. You will need to connect your (non-4K) monitor to the board itself. Immediately after pressing the power button to start the system powering on, start pressing the F2 key over and over until you see the BIOS Setup GUI (the Visual BIOS Setup program) appear onscreen. To enable, UEFI, click on Advanced and then Boot. Then, on the left-hand side of the Boot Priority scene, check the UEFI Boot option.

Hope this helps,

...S

JStee12
Beginner

thank you very much I leared something new today and I really do appreciate your taking the time to help, I have tried to enter the setup AND IT WILL not go even if I uuse the back to bios button on the back. I pulled every6thing out of the system all the way back to the box to see if it would post and nothing, but the 00 Eb message on the board I have tried different Ram, aT THIS POINT iM READY TO CHUCK IT bUT ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT Sent from Windows Mail
n_scott_pearson

When you pulled everything out, you connected your monitor to the back of the board, right?

If you have everything disconnected - including Graphics card and all USB devices other than keyboard and mouse - then this leaves just the board, the processor and the memory that you have plugged in. Determining if the issue is in the processor requires testing in another system. Determining if the RAM is bad can also be done by testing in another system. Determining if the RAM is incompatible or the board is bad is something that we can do here. Follow these steps (note: add/remove DIMMs only with power off):

1. Remove all DIMMs and power on. You should hear three beeps. If you don't, the board (or processor) is bad.
  2. Reinstall one DIMM in the blue connector closest to the processor (this is socket for Channel A DIMM 1).
    1. If you don't hear beeps and the BIOS splash screen appears, the board is probably good and the DIMM is probably good.
    2. If you hear beeps or the BIOS splash screen does not appear (or you see POST Code "00 FB"), either board is bad or DIMM is bad/incompatible.
  3. Remove the DIMM and install a different DIMM in this same socket.
    1. If you don't hear beeps and the BIOS splash screen appears, the first DIMM was bad and this DIMM is probably good.
    2. If you hear beeps or the BIOS splash screen does not appear (or you see POST Code "00 FB"), the board or this DIMM is bad/incompatible.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 if you have more than two DIMMs.

If you arrive at a point where it seems to work properly with at least one of the DIMMs, then replace the other DIMMs. If none of them work, then likely the board is bad and should be discarded.

Hope this helps,

...S