Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MJohn29
New Contributor I

DZ87KLT-75K: PCIe GPU stuck in PCIe 1.1 x16 (2.5GT/s) mode!

Received my RMA board to fix a few other issues from different threads on this forum. I have done a full clean reformat with Windows 8.1 Pro x64, latest patches and latest drivers. Now I have a new issue...

- My nVIDIA GeForce 780 Ti GPU is only detected as a PCIe 1.1 x16 card running at 2.5GT/s instead of PCIe 3.0 x16 running at 8GT/s. Running the render in GPUZ does not change this. I never had this issue before.

I have tried everything I can think of. I reset the BIOS via F9 and removing the battery, etc., but the problem persists.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Zorlac,

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your system but let me help you.

Please note that I have been testing a VC in a board same model than yours and I have not been able to replicate the issue. I recommend you checking for a bios update and a Firmware for your video card.

It is also important to say that we have received a few reports from customers stating that the CPUz and GPUz is showing incorrect information.

Please try the steps above and let me know.

MJohn29
New Contributor I

GPU: eVGA GeForce 780 Ti (03G-P4-2881-KR) w/BIOS 80.80.30.00.80 & nVIDIA driver 332.21 WHQL

System Board: Intel DZ87KLT-75K rev 305 w/BIOS 0447

I never had this issue until I installed the replacement system board. The BIOS shows the GPU as running in 2.5GT/s mode which is PCIe 1.1. It should show 8GT/s which is PCIe 3.0.

GPUz detects the card as capable of running at PCIe 3.0 x16, but currently running at PCIe 1.1 x16. Once I install the latest nVIDIA WHQL driver, GPUZ shows the card as PCIe 1.1 x16 capable and running at PCIe 1.1 x16. Running the render option in GPUZ does not change anything.

Again, I didnt have this problem before I had the system board replaced. My old board was rev 304 and would not let me upgrade to BIOS 0446 or 0447 and my new board is rev 305 which let me upgrade to 0447. I double checked the CPU by making sure there were no bent pins and I reseated it, so that should not be the issue. I have also cleaned the contacts on the bottom of the CPU, on my RAM DIMMs and on the GPU PCIe connector.

The other odd thing is that randomly, the system board sometimes only detects 8GB of RAM instead of the full 16GB. This has only happened a few times. I switched the 2 DIMMs around, cleaned them, made sure they are in the blue DIMM slots, etc. Also, GPUz shows the subvendor for my GPU is undefined. I have gotten it to show eVGA a few times by resetting the system board BIOS, but as soon as I make any changes to the BIOS settings, GPUZ goes back to reporting undefined. Randomly it will not detect various GPU stats in GPUZ as well.

I tried reflashing BIOS 0447 again and that did nothing to fix the issues. This is just all so bizarre.

Stephen
Valued Contributor I

Here is proof that it's the BIOS causing the PCI ISSUE, BIOS 0447 Has the ISSUE

So i have reverted back to BIOS 0446 and no surprise here the PCI ISSUE Not Present on 0446

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Guys,

I have been able to replicate the issue. As per the test I did, it seems it works on BIOS 0447. I will escalate this immediately to the corresponding department to start the investigation and I will keep you posted.

MJohn29
New Contributor I

I tried an eVGA motherboard with my card and it works great. BIOS detects card as PCIe 3.0 x16 running at 8GT/s and GPUZ detects card as PCIe 3.0 x16 compatible. Running the GPUZ render options puts the card into full PCIe 3.0 x16 mode. Subvendor is properly detected as eVGA for the card and all card features are detected in GPUZ. All 16GB of my system RAM are detected as well. This tells me that the Intel system board and/or BIOS is the source of the issue.

Thank you stephenb.b.r for discovering BIOS 0447 is the real problem.

Thank you kevin_intel for escalating. 

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

You are welcome. I will keep you posted!

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am sorry for the delay and I appreciate your patience. At this point there is no information yet but I will keep you posted.

Stephen
Valued Contributor I

Hey the BIOS 0450 does not have this issue is what I'm running on currently

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the information Stephenb.br.

I have personally tested the board with the latest BIOS and I can confirm the issue has been fixed.

Please download the latest BIOS for the DZ87KLT-75K here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23652 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23652

jroge2
Beginner

I just got this board 6 days ago and I have this issue. It makes my nvidia drivers stop. sometimes crashing the whole pc. in the visual bios it shows that in the PCIe 16 slot I have something at PCIe 1.1x16 2.5. I have the latest BIOS Version & it still shows my 770 gtx as a 1.1x16 2.5. so I dont think this latest version works. What BIOS Version does work??

Stephen
Valued Contributor I

Hi Fierojosh

Here is a screen shot with the latest BIOS and running render test to make sure it achieves the 3.0 speed.

The issues i have to date are memory issues unfortunately for me.

Oh and you might want to check your power supply, maybe its not providing enough power to the GPU probably its producing less AMP, that usually causes such kind of issue which sometimes manifests it self as driver stopped working.

jroge2
Beginner

I have a 850 watts power supply brand new out of the box, everything on my build is new besides the hard drive which i know is good because it works fine on my other pc.

UPDATE: I tried to get an older BIOS update 4460 I believe, it still had the problem. But then when i restarted this morning after another freeze up the pc wouldnt boot at all, fans would kick on and LEDs would light and then shut off all in 2 seconds. I took out the processor and found some bent pins, My dad is the one who put the build together and he works on pcs for a living, I doubt he bent them. Im gonna try to warranty it.

Stephen
Valued Contributor I

Hello to all, i have just come across this thread and decided to check my motherboard and board too and to my surprise i have same issue.

Motherboard DZ87KLT-75K v304 BIOS 0447

EVGA Geforce 770 3771 with latest BIOS and also only BIOS since its release last year.

*NOTE* This issue was not present in BIOS 0446, 0346, 0344 & 0336

The Board was reporting correct figures to GPU-Z an all the previous BIOS releases stated above, so its more of a BIOS issue than a motherboard revision issue

Intel where is the FIX