Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MK21
Beginner

DZ87KLT-75K USB 3.0 Driver problems. Help?

Hi, I'm not the best at explaining things so please bare with me .

I have an Intel DZ87KLT-75K motherboard which has support for additional USB3.0 ports (obviously) and I have a CoolerMaster HAF X case, which has 2x USB3.0 ports on the front. I have them plugged straight into the correct spot on the motherboard (the blue 20-pin? port), they work all well and good without the USB3.0 drivers but only at USB2.0 speeds (obviously) that's no issue. But when I install the USB3.0 drivers for my board and OS: win7 64-bit this one- (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22589&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207... Download Center) they work at full USB3.0 speeds, however, when I have a device plugged into them, there is no option to safely remove the device. It has completely disappeared as though the device is not removable. This is ONLY when the USB3.0 driver are installed. And ONLY with the 2x front USB3.0 ports on the case. All other USB3.0/USB2.0 ports work flawlessly. I have tried using third party safely remove tools, still the devices don't show. Happens with both flash drives and portable HDDs. I tried a fresh installation of Windows, still does the same thing. Took me a while to figure out but after long hours spent of trial and error I have decided it's definitely something to do with the driver itself. I've played around with the settings in device manager/BIOS, still doesn't seem to have an option regarding safely removing media. At first I thought maybe it was a feature of the driver and it just didn't need to be done but after only a few days of using no safely remove and just yanking the drives out after use, I had corrupt data, missing files etc. Maybe there is an option somewhere I have missed that needs to be changed? I don't know.

I have googled so many times and looked all over forums to see if anyone is experiencing the same problem and I cant seem to find any info on this exact problem anywhere so here I am seeking any advice/help to overcome my issue.

If I have left out any vital information that may help please let me know, greatly appreciate any help that may be provided

Thanks.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Manolz,

This kind of behavior most of the times is related to the operating system. I recommend you to check under properties, if the notifications were disable. Please right click on the "TaskBar" and go to properties. Then, click on "Customize"

Click on the "down arrow" and choose the option you prefer.

Please let me know.

Regards.

MK21
Beginner

I normally have it set to 'Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar' but I did play around with those settings just to be sure and still, no safely remove icon wants to show itself..

I have noticed though, I can safely remove flash drives by going through My Computer>Right clicking on the device>selecting Eject. But with any portable HDDs this method isn't possible, it would seem the icon is needed for that.

Very strange problem

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

My recommendation at this point will be to post this issue on Microsoft communities.

AMoli5
Beginner

Hi

I also have the same problem.

If I install the drivers for USB 3.0 from intel, I can not use the "safe remove" option in tray,

After removing the drivers, this option returns to normal - i see safe remove icon in tray.

I tried re-installing windows one more time- but the problem is with your drivers.

My mobo is -> MSI z87-g43

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

We replicated the issue using the same motherboard, latest BIOS version and latest USB 3.0 drivers and we did not have the same behavior. We do have the "safe remove" option in the tray.

We tried the front and the back USB ports; we tested it using a regular USB flash drive and also an external hard drive. In both cases we were able to remove the devices safely.

@Psycho144, please contact MSI and check if there is a new BIOS version or any firmware update you may need.

KBoeh
Beginner

I had the same issue with Windows 8 X64.

I just updated to the latest BIOS and the problem is resolved.

MK21
Beginner

There seemed to be a more recent USB 3.0 driver for my mobo released not too long ago that I noticed when I checked again the other day. I decided to give it a shot and install it and now everything seems to work fine! I had almost given up for good as well. Glad something told me to have a look at the driver list again. Haha. Thanks all for your help

RSola3
Beginner

I have same USB issue with Intel DH87MC motherboard.

Operating Systems: Windows 7 64Bit

I updated latest motherboard Bios & latest USB3.0 Drivers.

Also clean reinstall operating system.

Problem:- When I plug a USB2.0 pen drive to USB 2.0 ports, USB safely remove icon not appearing.

When I plug a USB3.0 external hard disk drive to any USB ports, safely remove icon appearing & work fine.

The issue with only USB 2.0 pen drives.

I uninstalled the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller driver & the issue is solves with USB 2.0 drives.

But after reinstalling Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller driver, the problem come again with usb 2.0 drives.

Please solve my issue.

Thank You So Much.

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I have tested on Z87 and H87 Intel motherboards and I see the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon using both USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Please make sure that the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" is not set to "Hide icon and notifications" in windows explorer.

RSola3
Beginner

I already checked for the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" is not set to "Hide icon and notifications" in windows explorer.

The issue occur only after the installing USB 3.0 driver. The problem occur only with old USB2.0 pen drives & old USB2.0 external hard drives.

After uninstalling the USB 3.0 drivers, Safely remove icon works fine & perfectly with all ports with all USB 2.0 devices.

Thanks

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

I would have to try with some other USB 2.0 drives, About how old are the drives that you have?

KBenm
Beginner

I also have the same issue with the USB 3.0 front panel ports. I've had two DZ87KLT-75K motherboards with the same issue. I'm at a point where I just don't use those ports...

KBenm
Beginner

Siberio, what BIOS and USB driver version are you using? Did you try with front panel too?

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

I have tested Front panel USB 2.0 and 3.0 also all the rear ports.BIOS Version is 0453 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22589/USB-3-0-Intel-USB-3-0-Driver USB 3.0: Intel USB 3.0 Driver, 2.5.1.28.
KBenm
Beginner

any chance you could test with stock Bios version? The earliest one I suppose. I have the KLZ8711D-86A.0336.2013.0516.1957 - I suppose it is the 336? If you can replicate then I'd know it's a Bios issue and upgrading it could fix, otherwise I would rather not take chances with a Bios update. Thanks.

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

It would not be necessary to roll back the BIOS just to test previous versions, the updates are made precisely to correct issues like the one you are having; in your case, it is suggested to update the BIOS. since you have the first version that came out with this board. Just make sure to update 1 by 1 until you reach the latest, this should ensure a smoother transition.

KBenm
Beginner

yes, but I have read a lot of horror stories about BIOS updates, so I don't want to try my luck unless absolutely necessary. Hence my question, if you have access to a stock motherboard with the first BIOS version (which I suppose is possible as it seems you work for Intel), and are able to reproduce the issue, and then can confirm an update to the latest version will fix it, then there would be proof a BIOS update solves the issue. If you also test USB3 successfully with the original BIOS, then my mobo might be faulty and a BIOS update would have no purpose...

if you follow my logic

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

I do not have a stock motherboard available, but you should not have to worry about flashing the BIOS, update each BIOS 1 by 1 using preferably the F7 method and everything should be fine. This would actually be required in order to determine if you board has bug that can be fixed with BIOS updates.