Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KBenm
Beginner

DZ87KLT-75k hard disk password on sata port 0 with additional RAID 1 on other ports - possible?

Hi,

currently finished building and setting up my new PC with a DZ87KLT-75k board. The goal is:

- 1 SSD (Samsung 840 Pro) w/OS

- 2 HDDS in RAID1

The HDDs are coming from another machine so I haven't been able to set them up yet.

I wanted to setup the SSD from the OS in the SATA0 port, as the SSD offers hardware encryption through the setting up of the hard disk password in the UEFI BIOS.

Now, I had setup the Intel controller as RAID mode in the Bios, while waiting to install the two RAID drives. It seems however, that setting the RAID mode disables the option of setting the hard disk password of the SSD disk. In IDE and AHCI mode the option is available.

Questions:

1. Is this normal?

2. If yes what are the options? Is it possible to set up a RAID1 array in AHCI mode somehow? Or to setup the hard disk password while in RAID mode?

3. If not, is the Marvell controller able to run in RAID 1 mode? There are no options in the bios to change the mode to something else than AHCI - but maybe that's because there is nothing plugged to it. If it's able to run in RAID 1, is the Marvell controller reliable and as performant as the Intel controller?

Thanks for the help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
KBenm
Beginner

Apparently, this has been discussed already here:

So, additional questions: has this been looked at? Was it planned to be fixed for future motherboard releases, is it something that could be fixed with a Bios update? Is it a bios or a controller limitation?

This answers my question 1 above but 2 and 3 are still valid.

Thanks!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

KarinmB, that's a limitation on Intel Storage controller, when RAID mode is enabled the hard drive password is not available.

In order to create a RAID array using the Intel SATA ports, it is necessary to choose RAID mode, however you can leave the SATA mode as AHCI and create the RAID 1 using the Marvel controller.

Make sure you download the correct Marvel drivers from the CD or the download center.

Remember to leave the SSD on SATA 0.

KBenm
Beginner

Thanks for the answer Sylvia. Is the controller limitation something that can be corrected in the future via a BIOS upgrade?

Do you have links to the Marvel drivers? I can't find any in the download center.

Also, someone seemed to report here that it's not possible to set RAID mode for the Marvel controller in the bios in an older board, as it seemed to be the case for me, the bios doesn't let change from anything else than AHCI: Could you check on that as well?

Thanks!

KBenm
Beginner

Not that I want to be annoying or anything, but do you have a link to the lastest Marvel drivers? The Marvell website also doesn't have anything, they only have drivers for the chipsets used on PCIe cards.

And could those Intel controller limitations be fixed with a bios/firmware update? If it's possible, are there any plans to do so?

Thanks

Karim

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Let me check on this. I'll keep you posted.

KBenm
Beginner

I just tested and I can confirm that also when plugging disks in the Marvell controller's ports, the bios does not offer to use them in RAID, it's AHCI only, even though the tech spec claims that is supports raid 1...

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

KarimB, I'm afraid to say that it is not possible to create a RAID using the Marvel controllers. I apologize for the information provide.

There were previous motherboards such as the DH61BE, the DZ68BC and the DZ79SR that allowed you to created RAID on any of the 2 controllers.

I just tested the DZ79SR. I set the Intel SATA controller on AHCI mode. I did not have an option to change the Marvell controller to RAID, but I was able to access Marvel RAID settings pressing Ctrl+M and I created a RAID 0.

Would you please provide me the tech spec where its says that supports RAID 1?

KBenm
Beginner

Well you're right, there's nothing explicitly saying that the Marvel supports RAID1, but there's nothing saying that it doesn't either. There's only mention of 8 SATA ports with possibilities of RAID 0,1,5,10. It's spec of the Marvel chipset that says it can do RAID 0 or RAID 1. Sorry, I mixed it up a little.

Any chance the possibility of forwarding the hard disk password while in RAID mode is something that could be fixed with a firmware/bios update?

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hard driver password is limited to only one hard drive, therefore it is not available when you choose RAID SATA mode.

We wouldn't know if this feature could be added or enabled to the motherboard via BIOS or firmware update. At this moment it is not possible and there is not information about it.

I recommend you to check with the hard drive's manufacture if they have a utility that allow you to create a password for your SSD. You may want to search for software that allows you to do that also.

KBenm
Beginner

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late one.

Honestly, I don't understand how software installed on the drive could supply the drive with the password before the drive is unlocked..? If I were to switch my drive and get an Intel SSD instead, does Intel provide a utility to manage the SSD password?