Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AScho21
Beginner

Desktop Board DH77EB won't update BIOS

I have an Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB and at some point it started to ask for a password I don't have.

Whenever I press the power button with the jumper in (it doesn't seem to matter which position, "1 - 2" or "2 - 3", neither behaves differently), I'm stuck in the "Enter Password to unlock system" screen - if I try to enter a blank password, at the third time it displays:

"Password check failed.

Please refer to the Product Guide at

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

Fatal Error... System halted"

Sometimes the logo shows up, sometimes it doesn't - it seems completely random to me - but it never makes any difference to press F2, F7 or F10.

I have tried taking out the flash battery for about 15 minutes to see if it could fix it, but it only displayed the clock warning, which means it's been reset, and nothing else changed.

After some research, I found this reply https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006JbIOSA0 and followed its instructions.

I have a 2.0 USB flash drive that has been formatted with the FAT32 file system with the "Quick Format" option disabled. I have transferred the "EB0103.BIO" into it and I have inserted the flash drive in one of the motherboard's 2.0 USB port.

After all this setup, I turn the computer on without the jumper but surprisingly the mobo doesn't display anything to the monitor.

I have to say this is one of the most frustrating issues I have ever faced regarding IT and the fact that Intel simply decided not to give this hardware owners any support seems completely whimsical to me. I had to search for this file myself instead of downloading it from the official website.

I hope someone in the Intel community can help me since it seems to be my last hope - I have idle hardware that I could be using and I don't want to have to buy another mobo.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Intel announced on the Desktop Forum in october 2019 that support files for these discontinued/unsupported boards were being removed.

Use the procedure here provided by Scott. Do not skip or dismiss any steps.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

Doc

AScho21
Beginner

Yes, I am aware of the removal of the files. I just think Intel shouldn't have done that with its customers.

Anyaways,

I have followed the steps presented by Scott, but I have an issue on step no. 13 "NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.".

My case is one of those rare cases in which the process proceeds without onscreen, apparently. I let it turned on for more than one hour now and still, nothing shows up.

I wonder, is this motherboard lost, afterall?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

LOL! No, if the BIOS update happens at all, it will be done in max 10 minutes. If there is no display, there will never be a display. If you are at or past the 15 minute mark, you should power off, restore the jumper and try booting. BTW, putting the jumper in the 2-3 position and then powering on should start BIOS in maintenance mode - which includes capability to clear passwords.

...S

AScho21
Beginner

Well, like I said in the original post, putting the jumper in the 2-3 position doesn't change the mobo's behaviour and therefore doesn't give me the capability to get past trough the "Enter Password to unlock system" screen.

I guess this is it then, nothing can fix this.

Thanks for your help.

AScho21
Beginner

BTW I've tried a huge list of intel's passwords and none worked (lol).

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ok, I was hoping we would get lucky but it doesn't appear to be the case. Don't shoot the messenger. There is a bug common to the BIOS of various 7 Series Desktop Boards. Unfortunately, it was not reported until after Intel had shut down the Desktop Boards group and thus there have never been any BIOS resources available to root cause the issue. I have seen it reported probably a dozen times or so now. In most cases, it is reported by someone purchasing one of these boards second hand. The original owner says they never installed a password, yet the purchaser is seeing one that they cannot clear. What I think is happening is that, somehow, the BIOS flash - and specifically one of the buffers used to hold encrypted passwords - is getting corrupted. This is probably happening during system deconstruction/reconstruction. Regardless, because the buffer is corrupted, this password can never be matched and, because of this bug, this password can't be cleared. Once a board gets into this state, there's seemingly nothing that can be done about it. If it is the Supervisor password that is corrupted, you may be able to boot, but you cannot update or reconfigure the BIOS. If it is the User password, the board is essentially bricked; you cannot update or reconfigure the BIOS and you cannot boot.

I wish I had better news, but it is what it is. Reality bites,

...S

AScho21
Beginner

Oh no, please don't get me

wrong! I'm sorry if I seemed aggressive on my comments, I was just upset with the issue itself.

As a matter of fact, the board belongs to my father's company and I used the PC at my house for a couple of years. When I returned it, the person in charge of the company's IT asked me the BIOS password. What's odd is that I have actually set a password for it in the past and I was never able to clean it, but at least when I typed the passcode before it would recognize it.

The company provides parts mostly for hospital industries, so the requests have gone crazy these days and my father asked me to help. I decided to tackle this mobo issue to try and bring the machine back to life, even tried the hardware on another 1155 board, but the power supply and cpu's fans would only twitch a bit intermittently nonstop.

Anyways, thank you for such a complete answer.

Guess we'll have to buy another board afterall (but at least I know why).