cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KKrit
Novice

Desktop Board Problem/ Check Signal Cable

Hi,

I am new here. 1 week ago when i was starting my computer , it started normally but on Welcome Screen of Windows , Monitor suddenly showed CHECK SIGNAL CABLE . In Cabinet , Power light was On Fans were running , Everything was working Fine. I have tried Reseating RAM , Clearing BIOS , Monitor did not have problem. Still it did not Start . Now i am not able to understand what happened to Motherboard . Its 10 year old System using for my study purpose .

Board : Intel D945GCPE 1.2 GHZ PENTIUM DUAL CORE PROCESSOR

RAM : 2GB RAM

GRAPHICS : Intel's Integrated Graphics

Please help in Solving this problem.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you check the monitor signal cable? What operating system?

Other than that, the board is well past support and in the "area" of component failure.

You can spend a lot of time troubleshooting this old system, which is still likely to fail, or look to purchasing something more current and supported.

Doc

KKrit
Novice

Al hill , I have checked monitor signal cable . Windows 7 OS. my friend is saying that its a Display Chip Problem .

I had got a java project from school which i completed and when i was going to transfer it into pen drive this problem occured .

AlHill
Super User

Still a component failure.

Take the disk drive and connect it to a working system. Navigate to where your java project is and save it to a pen drive.

Then, start looking for a replacement system.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Kritik,

Are you saying that the failure occurred when you plugged in the pen drive (i.e. plugged drive in, screen immediately went black)? If so, this likely means that a short occurred. The damage to the board could be permanent. I would also be leery of using that pen drive in any other systems...

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill and N.Scott Pearson for the comments posted previously.

To Kritik4@intel:

I just wanted to confirm the information posted above as correct, besides trying the steps above, another thing to do if you have the option, will be to use the PC with a different video cable, just to rule out a possible problem with it, or to test it with a different monitor, other than that, the best thing to do will be to get a newer system.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

KKrit
Novice

N.Scott,

Thanks for your concern. When i was starting my computer this problem occured, i.e on welcome screen of windows. I want to know is the problem is cause of graphic failure . And my Computer's HDD light is also not blinking.

n_scott_pearson

It still sounds like a component failure, but I wonder if Windows is attempting to use a resolution that the monitor will not support. Something you could try is to download the MemTest86+ ISO and build a standalone flash disk from it. You could try booting from this flash disk and, if it runs, let it fully test your memory - which will actually test a significant portions of the system's overall functionality as well.

Hope this helps,

...S

KKrit
Novice

N.Scott,

Keyboard lights only blink when i press cpu power button , after that light does not come . Keyboard buttons not work . Mouse is ok... No display on monitor . Are these some signs of a cause.

n_scott_pearson

In boards this old, the on-board graphics solution is in the GMCH (Graphics and Memory Controller Hub) IC, which is under the huge heatsink in the center of the board. This is the most critical IC on the board; if a failure has occurred in this IC, it is not repairable; you throw the board away.

This board is 10 years old. You don't fix it; you replace it. Yes, it also means replacing the processor and memory along with the board -- but it is time.

...S

KKrit
Novice

Thanks for your help I need to replace it now. But there's i think i should buy a laptop for my school work which i could out easily . Now , i was not using this old old computer, used it rarely only for work and if no exams then some Games.

I use computer sometimes only for work so i do not need expensive laptop. So, I can do my basic work...

For that, should i buy a cheap and An Old intel dual Core Processor Cabinet , which dealers have kept in bulk of hp , dell and lenovo brands or I should buy a new launched Cheap Laptop of I Ball Company....if you have heard about this company....pls let me know.........

Thanks

KKrit
Novice

Hi ,

I want to know where is Display Chip located on Motherboard D945GCPE.

KKrit
Novice

Motherboard is showing green light , is that means that the motherboard is working fine and onboard graphic IC is failed.................

n_scott_pearson

No, this just means that the power supply is providing Standby power to the board.

There are new laptops that I have seen listed under US$200 that utilize modern Atom/Celeron/Pentium processors that will easily outperform your old computer's processor - and they come with Windows 10 already installed. Look at, for example, the Acer Aspire One.

Hope this helps,

...S