Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GCrad
Beginner

Do Intel dx79sr desktop motherboards support Xeon E5-2690v2 processors?

unfortunately the info on the web is not 100% clear. i can see there is support for Xeon e5-2680v2 but I have tried a 2690 and the motherboard only gets to POST code 00. Is this because the BIOS does not support the processor or for some other reason?

it would also be great to hear from Intel which processors are supported in each BIOS version. The BIOS readme's indicate new processors are supported but not which ones. There is the ark compatibility tool which I have been redirected to in the past, only to find information on it is not up to date. How do I get confirmation for this?

it seems that some bios versions were released after the processor so I would hope they support processors with the same socket.

thanks in advance.

xylo

dx79sr

16gb Samsung dram

e5-2690v2

samsung ssd

radeon 7990

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please allow me more time to check about this.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Xylo, this motherboard supports E5-2680 among other Intel® Xeon E5 processors; however, the E5-2680v2 and the E5-2690v2 are not compatible.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

GCrad
Beginner

Thanks Joe.

As we have been building systems based on the Intel Desktop platforms, should we assume that it is best to start using other motherboards a) because of difficulties in ordering new ones (understand Intel is moving away from Desktop motherboard market) and b) because you will not be adding support for newer chips (latest i7 or E5-2xxx v2). It would be helpful to get confirmation of this to hep with our supply chain development.

Thanks again

xylo

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Intel® Xeon E5 v2 processors are compatible in great extent with Intel® Server and Intel® Workstation boards, which will continue being developed and manufactured. In regards of the desktop platform, currently available Intel® motherboards are only compatible with Intel® Core processors codenamed Haswell; there are no plans to support newer Intel® Core processors with the current line of Intel® desktop boards. A similar discussion is available here: